From: Mike Jones on
Piggy-backing on Paweł Wlaź:

>> I have tried to alter the /etc/profile.d/lang.sh in the hope that one
>> of them took their config from there, but that did not seem to help.
>
> I previously used iso, now I have switched to utf8. The only thing I had
> to change was settings in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh

I just (re)set my /etc/profile.d/lang.sh to en_GB.utf8 and everything
seems ok so far, except if I open MC in RXVT I get garbled texty stuff
around everything except the actual dir\file names. If I open MC in xterm
everything is ok. RXVT seems to work ok otherwise, Lynx is fine, scripts
echo to screen ok, etc. Just MC looking like somebody spilled alphabetti-
spaghetti all over it in RXVT.

Is this an RXVT glitch maybe, or MC?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Chick Tower on
On 2010-04-30, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> I just (re)set my /etc/profile.d/lang.sh to en_GB.utf8 and everything
> seems ok so far, except if I open MC in RXVT I get garbled texty stuff
> around everything except the actual dir\file names
> Just MC looking like somebody spilled alphabetti-
> spaghetti all over it in RXVT.
>
> Is this an RXVT glitch maybe, or MC?

I play around with Arch Linux, and on their forums they say rxvt doesn't
properly handle UTF-8. There's a modified rxvt called urxvt that
supposedly handles it, but I you would probably have to compile it
yourself, unless it's on SlackBuilds.Org.

Chick Tower

For e-mail: aols2 dot echo dot towerboy at xoxy dot net

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Chick Tower:

> On 2010-04-30, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> I just (re)set my /etc/profile.d/lang.sh to en_GB.utf8 and everything
>> seems ok so far, except if I open MC in RXVT I get garbled texty stuff
>> around everything except the actual dir\file names ...
>> Just MC looking like somebody spilled alphabetti- spaghetti all over it
>> in RXVT.
>>
>> Is this an RXVT glitch maybe, or MC?
>>

> I play around with Arch Linux, and on their forums they say rxvt doesn't
> properly handle UTF-8. There's a modified rxvt called urxvt that
> supposedly handles it, but I you would probably have to compile it
> yourself, unless it's on SlackBuilds.Org.

I was wondering why it is most of my other console apps worked ok, and
just MC's periferal details got garbled.

I've flipped back to ISO-8859-1 for now as xterm (ok with UTF-8) does
strange things with my custom fastkeys. 8|

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Eef Hartman on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> I've flipped back to ISO-8859-1 for now as xterm (ok with UTF-8) does
> strange things with my custom fastkeys. 8|

You may want to change over to ISO 8859-15, the somewhat extended version
of -1. From its man page:
> The ISO 8859 standard includes several 8-bit extensions to the ASCII
> character set (also known as ISO 646-IRV). Especially important is ISO
> 8859-1, the "Latin Alphabet No. 1", which has become widely implemented
> and may already be seen as the de-facto standard ASCII replacement.
> However, it lacks the EURO symbol and does not fully cover Finnish and
> French. ISO 8859-15 is a modification of ISO 8859-1 that covers these
> needs.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Eef Hartman:

> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> I've flipped back to ISO-8859-1 for now as xterm (ok with UTF-8) does
>> strange things with my custom fastkeys. 8|
>
> You may want to change over to ISO 8859-15, the somewhat extended
> version of -1. From its man page:
>> The ISO 8859 standard includes several 8-bit extensions to the ASCII
>> character set (also known as ISO 646-IRV). Especially important is ISO
>> 8859-1, the "Latin Alphabet No. 1", which has become widely implemented
>> and may already be seen as the de-facto standard ASCII replacement.
>> However, it lacks the EURO symbol and does not fully cover Finnish and
>> French. ISO 8859-15 is a modification of ISO 8859-1 that covers these
>> needs.

Makes sense, but...

I only seem to have en_GB and en_GB.utf8 according to locale -a

Or have I missed something?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.