From: Ole Kjos on
I live in norway, and we have som special characters. Therefore I need
to use the iso8859-1 or utf8 character set. Om my computer both KDE and
XFCE are in use.

I mount a large fileshare, and have to define iocharset in fstab. If I
set iocharset to utf8 then XFCE displays everything fine, but KDE and
the textconsole does not. If I set iocharset to iso8859-1 then KDE
displays everything fine, but not XFCE.

My conclusion so far is that KDE uses the iso8859-1, and that XFCE uses
the utf8. Both can display the characters when the proper characterset
is used, so the fonts are OK. For my part it does not matter if I use
utf8 or iso8859-1, but I need to find out how i can change either KDE or
XFCE so the both uses the same character set. I could not find any
options in the menus in controlpanel, or in any config files i could locate.

I have tried to alter the /etc/profile.d/lang.sh in the hope that one of
them took their config from there, but that did not seem to help.

Ole Kjos
From: Paweł Wlaź on

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Ole Kjos wrote:

> I live in norway, and we have som special characters. Therefore I need to
> use the iso8859-1 or utf8 character set. Om my computer both KDE and XFCE
> are in use.

[ . . . ]

> I have tried to alter the /etc/profile.d/lang.sh in the hope that one of them
> took their config from there, but that did not seem to help.

I previously used iso, now I have switched to utf8. The only thing I
had to change was settings in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh

In my case

export LANG=pl_PL.utf8

is enough (yours should differ :) .

KDE4, ICEWM, XFCE4 (all in slackware 13.0) work with it with no
problem. What exactly do you have in you lang.sh? What are the results
of

locale

command in terminal?

Pawel
From: Ole Kjos on
Paweł Wlaź wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Ole Kjos wrote:
>
>> I live in norway, and we have som special characters. Therefore I
>> need to use the iso8859-1 or utf8 character set. Om my computer both
>> KDE and XFCE are in use.
>>
> [ . . . ]
>
>> I have tried to alter the /etc/profile.d/lang.sh in the hope that one
>> of them took their config from there, but that did not seem to help.
>
> I previously used iso, now I have switched to utf8. The only thing I had
> to change was settings in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
>
> In my case
>
> export LANG=pl_PL.utf8
>
> is enough (yours should differ :) .
>
> KDE4, ICEWM, XFCE4 (all in slackware 13.0) work with it with no problem.
> What exactly do you have in you lang.sh? What are the results of
>
> locale
>
> command in terminal?

I never actually solved the problem, but I think i found the cause.
After some more googeling i found one person having the same problem as
I had. He had upgraded from slack 13 to current, and then downgraded
back to slack 13. That gave him some double glibc libs which caused the
problem.

I never did that, at least I never intended to do it, but there was
several versions of my glibc, in the lib folder. First I thought that
it might be because of the 32 bit compatibility fix (i ran slack 64),
but those libs should go in separate folders, so who knos, myebye I have
been to sleepy when downloading some extra files from ftp-sites.

Anyway, i was tired of my 64bit system not working as it should, even
whith the 32bit libs, and found out that most of my software was 32 bit
anyway, so I did a clean reinstall whith the 32bit system, and
everything works as it should.

Pages: 1
Prev: mysqld problem
Next: stealth domain