From: shawn on
What does "Delay Write Failed" for a flash drive plugged into a Windows XP
Pro machine?

I'll tell you my problem.

I also have a memory card reader from Vivitar that I got at Staples. It only
reads SDHC cards and I have a 4GB SDHC card. This one is probably a month
old and had only a few MB's of files on it. I use it in a device that plugs
into my Atari 2600 (old video game system from 1977). I can design games and
test them right on a real machine... but anyway it's hardly got any use.

I have a flash drive of unknown brand.. I got it for my Girlfriend free with
buying a special edition of the newest Sims game. It's 4GB. This one is a
little older.. got it when the new Sims came out. This one only had some
pictures on it and got very little use as well.

Originally I brought my reader and 4GB card to a computer and copied some
files. When I got to home I wanted to copy those files to my home computer.
It would not copy some. I believe it popped up an error message about
parameter incorrect.

I thought maybe it had to do with large filesizes, such as video, so I tried
smaller files, mp3 music. Same error, but only with some of the stuff. It
will play the music just fine off the memory card, but won't copy to my
computer.

I also tried moving the reader to the rear port on the computer, no luck.

Thought maybe it was the memory card or reader being bad, so I tried the
flash drive.. same problem.

Computer I am getting files from is XP Pro, computer I am copying to is
Media Center 2005. Both all the latest updates.

From: philo on
shawn wrote:
> What does "Delay Write Failed" for a flash drive plugged into a Windows XP
> Pro machine?

It's probably failing

Considering their price...
I'd just toss it

From: trashcan on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:52:42 -0500, philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid>
wrote:

>shawn wrote:
>> What does "Delay Write Failed" for a flash drive plugged into a Windows XP
>> Pro machine?
>

>It's probably failing
>
>Considering their price...
>I'd just toss it
>

>> I'll tell you my problem.
>>
>> I also have a memory card reader from Vivitar that I got at Staples. It only
>> reads SDHC cards and I have a 4GB SDHC card. This one is probably a month
>> old and had only a few MB's of files on it. I use it in a device that plugs
>> into my Atari 2600 (old video game system from 1977). I can design games and
>> test them right on a real machine... but anyway it's hardly got any use.
>>
>> I have a flash drive of unknown brand.. I got it for my Girlfriend free with
>> buying a special edition of the newest Sims game. It's 4GB. This one is a
>> little older.. got it when the new Sims came out. This one only had some
>> pictures on it and got very little use as well.
>>
>> Originally I brought my reader and 4GB card to a computer and copied some
>> files. When I got to home I wanted to copy those files to my home computer.
>> It would not copy some. I believe it popped up an error message about
>> parameter incorrect.
>>
>> I thought maybe it had to do with large filesizes, such as video, so I tried
>> smaller files, mp3 music. Same error, but only with some of the stuff. It
>> will play the music just fine off the memory card, but won't copy to my
>> computer.
>>
>> I also tried moving the reader to the rear port on the computer, no luck.
>>
>> Thought maybe it was the memory card or reader being bad, so I tried the
>> flash drive.. same problem.
>>
>> Computer I am getting files from is XP Pro, computer I am copying to is
>> Media Center 2005. Both all the latest updates.

This ia a known problem....If you read this article and use the
SysIntennals 'Cache Set' it shoud get you straightened out. It worked
for me!

http://www.gibni.com/windows-delayed-write-failed-2

--
Eddie in Loveland

"Personally, I don't trust weathermen. They change their story every
day!" - Tia Carmen
From: shawn on
Thanks for the info. I'll give that software a try first as I've got no
money to spend on a new drive right now. These ones are practically brand
new!

From: shawn on
I believe that solved my problem! Thanks!