From: SSi308 on
I have tried to follow many of the suggestions in other posts, but have not
been able to get this to work.

I have a table called DailyCalls and another table called PersonalCalls. A
query was set up to return calls in the DailyCalls table that match calls in
the PersonalCalls table. When I change the query to a Delete query I get the
error: Invalid bracketing of name '[PersonalCalls.PhoneNumber]'.
Here is the sql of the delete query:
DELETE DistinctRow [DailyCalls].NumberDialed
FROM DailyCalls
WHERE (((DailyCalls.NumberDialed)=[PersonalCalls.PhoneNumber]));

I tried removing brackets and also adding sqare brackets around the table
names, but get the same error.

Can anyone tell me what I have wrong?

Thanks.
From: John Spencer on
It should be

DELETE DistinctRow [DailyCalls].NumberDialed
FROM DailyCalls
WHERE (((DailyCalls.NumberDialed)=[PersonalCalls].[PhoneNumber]));

However that will fail since you do not a have a reference to PersonalCalls in
the query.

You MIGHT be able to use
DELETE DistinctRow [DailyCalls].NumberDialed
FROM DailyCalls INNER JOIN [Personal Calls]
ON DailyCalls.NumberDialed=[PersonalCalls].[PhoneNumber]

The following should work with no problem
DELETE
FROM DailyCalls
WHERE NumberDialed in
( SELECT PhoneNumber
FROM [Personal Calls]
AND PhoneNumber is Not Null)

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: SSi308 on
John,

I tried this syntax but get an error:
DELETE
FROM DailyCalls
WHERE NumberDialed in
( SELECT PhoneNumber FROM [PersonalCalls]
AND PhoneNumber is Not Null);

Error is: Syntax error in query expression 'NumberDialed in (SELECT
PhoneNumber FROM [PersonalCalls] AND PhoneNumber is Not Null)'.

Thanks, Lori

From: John Spencer on
My error. Exteraneous AND

DELETE
FROM [DailyCalls]
WHERE [DailyCalls].[NumberDialed] IN
(SELECT [PersonalCalls].[PhoneNumber]
FROM [PersonalCalls]
WHERE [PersonalCalls].[PhoneNumber] is not null)

From: SSi308 on
John,

Now I get the error: Query must have at least one destination field.
Do I need to add a field reference to DELETE?

Thanks for the help.

Lori