From: Salgud on
I haven't used iCal for anything in a long time. Tonight I'm reminded
why. I went in to iCal to delete some recurring events that are no
longer relevant, but were popping up because I had iCal linked to Google
Calendar. (I had already deleted them out of GCal.) I deleted a couple,
which worked fine. But it wouldn't let me delete others. They just kept
reappearing, sometimes even creating duplicates.

Did a Spotlight search looking for anything iCal other than the app
itself, then looked for .ics files. Nada.

I went online to look for where the iCal files are kept, but couldn't
find an answer applicable for SL.

Then I got the idea to just delete all the calendars. That worked!

Yet another reason to hate the worst calendar app I ever saw. Even the
early versions of Outlook let me delete appointments!
From: Nick Naym on
In article i3ia6h$pn4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org, Salgud at
spamboy6547(a)comcast.net wrote on 8/6/10 8:42 PM:

> I haven't used iCal for anything in a long time. Tonight I'm reminded
> why. I went in to iCal to delete some recurring events that are no
> longer relevant, but were popping up because I had iCal linked to Google
> Calendar. (I had already deleted them out of GCal.) I deleted a couple,
> which worked fine. But it wouldn't let me delete others. They just kept
> reappearing, sometimes even creating duplicates.
>
> Did a Spotlight search looking for anything iCal other than the app
> itself, then looked for .ics files. Nada.
>
> I went online to look for where the iCal files are kept, but couldn't
> find an answer applicable for SL.
>
> Then I got the idea to just delete all the calendars. That worked!
>
> Yet another reason to hate the worst calendar app I ever saw. Even the
> early versions of Outlook let me delete appointments!

By far the best PIM I've ever used is Palm Desktop. It's fully integrated
across 4 modules (Date Book, To Dos, Addresses, and Memos), and each has a
degree of flexibility that leaves nothing to be desired.

I still use it, even though t hasn't been updated in years, and no longer is
supported. It gets a bit "touchy" on occasion (since I moved to SL), but not
in any way that has affected its functionality or underlying accuracy or
reliability.

It's free and apparently still available. The version I use is the last Mac
version (the OS X-only version: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 Rev D). It looks like you
can find it here (about halfway down the page):

< http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33529_en.html >.

--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)

From: AES on
In article <C882ED5A.61FD4%nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid>,
Nick Naym <nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> > Yet another reason to hate the worst calendar app I ever saw. Even the
> > early versions of Outlook let me delete appointments!
>
> By far the best PIM I've ever used is Palm Desktop. It's fully integrated
> across 4 modules (Date Book, To Dos, Addresses, and Memos), and each has a
> degree of flexibility that leaves nothing to be desired.

I'd put in a good word for the Now Contact/New Up to Date combination,
which I used since it first emerged.

Can't say much about their characteristics as an integrated package,
since I'm not a fan of getting entangled in the behavior of integrated
packages for any purposes. The individual apps have always been easy to
used and absolutely reliable, however; and I have yet to learn of any
address list app with anything like the enormously handy "QuickContact"
menu applet that Now Contact has (why don't any other database apps have
this kind of module?!?!).
From: Salgud on
On 8/7/10 9:00 AM, Nick Naym wrote:
> In article i3ia6h$pn4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org, Salgud at
> spamboy6547(a)comcast.net wrote on 8/6/10 8:42 PM:
>
>> I haven't used iCal for anything in a long time. Tonight I'm reminded
>> why. I went in to iCal to delete some recurring events that are no
>> longer relevant, but were popping up because I had iCal linked to Google
>> Calendar. (I had already deleted them out of GCal.) I deleted a couple,
>> which worked fine. But it wouldn't let me delete others. They just kept
>> reappearing, sometimes even creating duplicates.
>>
>> Did a Spotlight search looking for anything iCal other than the app
>> itself, then looked for .ics files. Nada.
>>
>> I went online to look for where the iCal files are kept, but couldn't
>> find an answer applicable for SL.
>>
>> Then I got the idea to just delete all the calendars. That worked!
>>
>> Yet another reason to hate the worst calendar app I ever saw. Even the
>> early versions of Outlook let me delete appointments!
>

> By far the best PIM I've ever used is Palm Desktop. It's fully integrated
> across 4 modules (Date Book, To Dos, Addresses, and Memos), and each has a
> degree of flexibility that leaves nothing to be desired.
>
> I still use it, even though t hasn't been updated in years, and no longer is
> supported. It gets a bit "touchy" on occasion (since I moved to SL), but not
> in any way that has affected its functionality or underlying accuracy or
> reliability.
>
> It's free and apparently still available. The version I use is the last Mac
> version (the OS X-only version: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 Rev D). It looks like you
> can find it here (about halfway down the page):
>
> < http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33529_en.html>.

Thanks for your reply.

I used Palms for years, never thought the original Palm PIM was more
than adequate. Not long after I bought my first Palm, I discovered
DateBk (if I remember right, it was DateBk3 at the time), and never
looked back. Of course, it was strictly a Palm app, no desktop version,
but that's where I wanted it, on my Palm which was always with me.
DateBk is still around and available as a Windoze desktop app, with a
OSX version in beta, last time I checked.

The best PIM I ever used was Commence, which was a Windoze desktop app
that did EVERYTHING. It was programmable, using agent technology, so you
didn't have to write code, and did so many things. I created a very
sophisticated task manager, as well as some slick uses linking my
calendar to my task list. E.g., I had a "Fee" field in the appt
category, and if that field's value was greater than zero (there was a
fee involved), I got a notice the next day after the appt that I'd had a
paid appt and needed to invoice my client for it. I could create a dummy
invoice in Commence, which then automatically created an invoice in Word
to send to my client. 30 days later, Commence would remind me that the
invoice should have been paid by now, and if not, I should follow up on
it. Very powerful. Would still be using it if I still had my own business.

Now I'm using Google Calendar and Toodledo for my calendar and task
list, which works just fine for my current needs.

Unfortunately, Palm (WebOS) is dead. I dont' believe HP will do any more
with it than Palm did.
From: Salgud on
On 8/7/10 12:57 PM, AES wrote:
> In article<C882ED5A.61FD4%nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid>,
> Nick Naym<nicknaym@_remove_this_gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Yet another reason to hate the worst calendar app I ever saw. Even the
>>> early versions of Outlook let me delete appointments!
>>
>> By far the best PIM I've ever used is Palm Desktop. It's fully integrated
>> across 4 modules (Date Book, To Dos, Addresses, and Memos), and each has a
>> degree of flexibility that leaves nothing to be desired.
>
> I'd put in a good word for the Now Contact/New Up to Date combination,
> which I used since it first emerged.
>
> Can't say much about their characteristics as an integrated package,
> since I'm not a fan of getting entangled in the behavior of integrated
> packages for any purposes. The individual apps have always been easy to
> used and absolutely reliable, however; and I have yet to learn of any
> address list app with anything like the enormously handy "QuickContact"
> menu applet that Now Contact has (why don't any other database apps have
> this kind of module?!?!).

Never heard of "Now Contact". Googled it, and found a "Now Software"
company no longer in business. Never heard of "New Up to Date" either.
Don't know what you're referring to "individual apps", unless you mean
iCal and Address Book that come on the Mac. Both are barely minimum for
what they do. Wall calendars have more features than iCal - they have a
pretty picture on them!