From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:55:35 -0500, "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote...
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:48:19 -0500, "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote:
>>
>>> There still are cases where it makes a lot of sense to build
>>> non-Unicode (i.e. no _UNICODE or UNICODE #define'd)
>>> and explicity call the "W" flavor of the API functions where
>>> applicable. One example at random, an application which stores
>>> text as UTF-8 internally, and does more string manipulations
>>> inside than API calls outside.
>> ****
>>
>> The reality is that we live in a very global market, and anyone who
>> knows their company product will never need Unicode is living in a
>> fantasy world.
>
>Right. To be very clear, my point was not against Unicode as the
>standard, but only the implementation choice of a particular encoding
>such as UTF-8 or UTF-16 for internal representation.
>
>> And if you thnk UTF-8 makes it easy, you have never actually had
>> to deal with a language that used a multibyte encoding in UTF-8.
>> It is NOT easy, and is highly error-prone. I know, I've had to clean
>> up some of the messes that have resulted from this. First thing I do
>> is convert to Unicode. Then [...]
>
>Then the app fails to run because its VM size suddenly shot over 2GB,
>and now you have to rebuild it for 64b, and require your clients to
>upgrade their windows as well ;-) Mostly joking, of course... But as
>long as the code does meet the Unicode requirements, the choice for
>its internal encoding is an engineering decision more than a design one.
****
If a minor change like moving to Unicode blows you out of the water like this, it suggests
you were already living dangerously. Something that gratuitously generates a > 1GB memory
footprint has deeper problems than Unicode. Memory footprints this large inevitably have
horrible performance characteristics, and these need to be solved.

Some years ago, I had to deal with a WIn16 program that had a 7.5MB footprint on a 2MB
machine (remember when we could run productive code on a 2MB machine?) Once I replaced
all the fixed-size arrays of characters with dynamically-allocated strings, and the
fixed-size-arrays-of-structs-with-fixed-sized-arrays-of-things-inside-them with
dynamically-allocated objects, in 3 days I recoded this C program to have a 300K
footprint. And we stopped, because that was Good Enough. But if converting to Unicode
blows your memory size, I think there are deeper problems that need to be addressed, ones
which will result in substantially smaller memory footprints if addressed properly.

I learned this programming on small machines (64K to 1MB machines). Programs whose size
grows usually represent less-than-optimal designs; at some level, the small memory imposes
ridiculous design decisions (I built several "overlay" systems to handle large code bases,
and they were a real pain to deal with; and building virtual memory systems that kept
strings in mapped files was also a pain) but once we start complaining that 1GB or 2GB is
too small, either the design is wrong, or you really SHOULD have a 64-bit machine (my
database friends LOVE Win64!) because the problem really is of that scale.

If you are willing to pay the price in complexity for UTF-8, fine, but going into the
problem you need to realize that you are trading off a LOT of coding complexity to keep
the footprint small (most people who do this don't get the code right, and it breaks
horribly every time you throw a multibyte character into the mix! Been there, fixed that)
joe
****

>Liviu

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I once had a header file that had to be shared between an old Win16 app and a Win32 app.
It defined a set of strings. For the Win16 app, I wrote

... = DoSomething(SYMBOLIC_NAME_OF_STRING_HERE)
and for the Win32 app I wrote
.... = DoSomethingA(SYMBOLIC_NAME_OF_STRING_HERE)

There were some very odd reasons I could not write
.... = DoSomething(_T(SYMBOLIC_NAME_OF_STRING_HERE));

that dealt with how the header files were shared and which code was shared and how, and I
would not do it that way today. But it was code I wrote in 1996.

It is one of the very few times I had to explicitly call an -A or -W suffix API.
joe

From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Thanks G_d for UTF-8 support in all major browsers. Now all those different
webpage encodings can just go away.

From: Liviu on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote...
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:55:35 -0500, "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote:
>>
>>Then the app fails to run because its VM size suddenly shot over 2GB,
>>and now you have to rebuild it for 64b, and require your clients to
>>upgrade their windows as well ;-) Mostly joking, of course... But as
>>long as the code does meet the Unicode requirements, the choice for
>>its internal encoding is an engineering decision more than a design
>>one.
> ****
> If a minor change like moving to Unicode blows you out of the water
> like this, it suggests you were already living dangerously. Something
> that gratuitously generates a > 1GB memory footprint has deeper
> problems than Unicode. Memory footprints this large inevitably have
> horrible performance characteristics, and these need to be solved.

I resent the "gratuitously" insinuation ;-) I've grown up on scarce
resource systems decades ago and still remember what decus/hisoft/aztec
meant as far as C goes on platforms long forgotten now. But that's way
off-topic... Case in point was not about wasteful design or even "near
the edge" living. Just that (few, but some) users get caught in the
ever-bigger hyperbole and push the limits just for the fun of it. They
can understand that an (artificial) test case many times larger than
what was billed or sold would run slower, but if they get an "out of
memory" error they would still complain that their new machine has
plenty of memory available. Even those who run 32b XP on 8GB ;-)

> once we start complaining that 1GB or 2GB is too small, either the
> design is wrong, or you really SHOULD have a 64-bit machine

The latter. But that's an idea far easier to sell today than, say, 5 yrs
ago. Of course, tomorrow we could have a similar argument about
UTF-32 encoding. I actually wonder whether that's in MS's books.

Liviu

From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Goran" <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> P.S. "m_"!? Puh-lease! Ok, I agree that it's interesting to prefix
>> class data members, but what's wrong with a simple "_", or "F" (for
>> "field", as Borland does)?
>
> A leading '_' is reserved for compiler extensions, I believe.

The C++ standard reserves the use of names within the global namespace that
begin with an underscore to the implementation. This means that class
members may indeed begin with an underscore because they are contained
within the class namespace.

-Pete

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Setting PropertySheet Title (Wizard mode)
Next: strsafe.lib