From: Ron Hardin on
I got my first Latitude, which comes with what appears to be a lot of modern bloatware.

What's Dell ControlPoint *[another word] manager?

Removing it takes a long time, but the boot time is drastically reduced, I notice.

It must have its fingers in everything.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Christopher Muto on
Ron Hardin wrote:
> I got my first Latitude, which comes with what appears to be a lot of modern bloatware.
>
> What's Dell ControlPoint *[another word] manager?
>
> Removing it takes a long time, but the boot time is drastically reduced, I notice.
>
> It must have its fingers in everything.

you can read about it here:
https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/dcp/connection.pdf
uninstalling it was the right thing to do. the slow boot was probably
due to the system completing the removal the first time starting after
reboot. removal should not result in a slow boot after the removal is
complete.
From: Ron Hardin on
Christopher Muto wrote:

> Ron Hardin wrote:
> > I got my first Latitude, which comes with what appears to be a lot of modern bloatware.
> >
> > What's Dell ControlPoint *[another word] manager?
> >
> > Removing it takes a long time, but the boot time is drastically reduced, I notice.
> >
> > It must have its fingers in everything.
>
> you can read about it here:
> https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/dcp/connection.pdf
> uninstalling it was the right thing to do. the slow boot was probably
> due to the system completing the removal the first time starting after
> reboot. removal should not result in a slow boot after the removal is
> complete.

It was a fast boot starting after removal. Removal took forever.

My only worry is someday removing a camouflaged driver or something.
So far, my rule is that if it's new, it goes.

That includes everything with the add/remove name starting with Microsoft, except C++,
which (whatever it is) has been there a while. Who knows what it does.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com