From: Paul on
Father Justin wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Daave wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like a driver issue. Have you been to this page:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIMENSION%205100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
>>>

>>> Or you may need to visit the "teac" Web site.
>>>

>> Under the CD/DVD driver tab, is a couple items for TEAC.
>> What is interesting, is it has a driver, and it has "firmware".
>> I've never heard of firmware for a card reader before.
>> What will they think of next.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Dava, Paul;
> I tried both with no success.
> I'm flabbergasted - I have never seen drivers for a memory card reader
> actually.
> There's a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
> Since SP3 is isntalled it won't install because it thinks its completely
> updated. I might have to uninstall SP3, install that hotfix and then
> reinstall SP3.
> What do you think?

(These are just the musings of an apprentice :-) What I found so far.)

I would not have expected a driver to be needed for a card reader.
If it is USB connected, I thought there was a built-in driver for
the card reader. Mainly, because I never see mention of anyone
using a driver for one (maybe on an older OS like Win98 you'd need it).

The usbstor.inf file already in Windows, contains references to known
devices. I don't see the TEAC mentioned there.

This is what the INF of the driver package mentions. I translated the
VID and PID from the end of the lines in the INF file, using the usb.ids
file. This gives me some contact names to work with.

USB\VID_057B&PID_0020 Y-E Data, Inc, HEXA Media Drive 6-in-1 Card Reader Writer
USB\VID_0424&PID_2DF0 Standard Microsystems Corp, ???
USB\VID_0644&PID_0200 TEAC Corp, All-In-One Multi-Card Reader CA200/B/S
USB\VID_0644&PID_0201

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

*******

There must be a processor inside the thing or something. There is a release note
of sorts for a TEAC firmware here.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Teac/Dell-XPS-420-TEAC-CA200-HH-13-1-Card-Reader-Firmware-A03.shtml

*******

In this thread, the device doesn't work under Windows 7. For whatever
reason, it needs a driver. (Maybe there is no way for Windows 7 to load
the firmware yet ? No firmware, no workey ?)

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19304453/19589356.aspx#19589356

*******

Since Y-E-Data is mentioned in the INF file, I went on a hunch that
a Y-E-Data design is used inside the TEAC product. Note - this is
purely an example, for educational purposes. This does *not* match
the TEAC in capabilities. Don't install these files.

http://www.yedata.com/support/internal_7in1_2_dl.shtml

(This installs "yeddef.sys" as a driver.)
http://www.yedata.com/support/HME317.zip

HKLM,"System\Currentcontrolset\Services\yeddef\Parameters","MaximumTransferSize",0x10001,4096
HKLM,"System\Currentcontrolset\Services\yeddef\Parameters","DebugLevel",0x10001,2

"Firmware Updater Driver"

That means, yeddef.sys runs each time the computer boots, and
loads firmware. That is my interpretation of their comment as to
what kind of driver it is. In other words, the firmware is
not stored inside the TEAC. It is loaded dynamically.

"icon utility software" - I presume this is purely decorative software.
I can't burrow into this, because it is Installshield protected. My *guess*
is, this draws icons on the screen, and not much else.

http://www.yedata.com/support/USBSTXP113.zip

So the question would be then, why isn't the firmware loading into the
TEAC. Is "yeddef.sys" doing its job ?

[yeddef.AddService]
DisplayName = %yeddef.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %10%\System32\Drivers\yeddef.sys

My theory is, USB Mass Storage will pick it up, if the firmware is
loaded into the device. Shut down the computer, turn off the power,
wait 1 minute, turn on the power, and retest...

Paul
From: Daave on
Daave wrote:
> Father Justin wrote:

>> Dava, Paul;
>> I tried both with no success.
>> I'm flabbergasted - I have never seen drivers for a memory card
>> reader actually.
>> There's a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
>> Since SP3 is isntalled it won't install because it thinks its
>> completely updated. I might have to uninstall SP3, install that
>> hotfix and then reinstall SP3.
>> What do you think?
>
> I'm pretty sure SP3 is supposed to contain that hotfix. Either that or
> there is another hotfix you need to apply. I will see what I can find.

From
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=934428&kbln=en-us

"Hotfixes are included in subsequent service packs that are safer to
install through Microsoft Update."

My guess is that this hotfix issue is a red herring. Have you been to
the Dell or Teac Web sites to look for drivers and/or firmware?

From: Father Justin on
Paul wrote:
> [...]
> not stored inside the TEAC. It is loaded dynamically.
>
> "icon utility software" - I presume this is purely decorative software.
> I can't burrow into this, because it is Installshield protected. My
> *guess*
> is, this draws icons on the screen, and not much else.
>
> http://www.yedata.com/support/USBSTXP113.zip
>
> So the question would be then, why isn't the firmware loading into the
> TEAC. Is "yeddef.sys" doing its job ?
>
> [yeddef.AddService]
> DisplayName = %yeddef.SvcDesc%
> ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
> StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
> ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
> ServiceBinary = %10%\System32\Drivers\yeddef.sys
>
> My theory is, USB Mass Storage will pick it up, if the firmware is
> loaded into the device. Shut down the computer, turn off the power,
> wait 1 minute, turn on the power, and retest...

Oh man... this looks like one heck of a Charlie Foxtrot.