From: BillW50 on
I am working on my niece's Dell. She wants to run Sim3 (PC game). And it
won't go too far without getting a "ialmdev5.dll - Page fault in
nonpaged area" error. Which usually means you need the latest Intel
video driver.

What is already installed is:

Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4693

And that is the same one on Dell's website. Although on Intel's site
they have a newer one:

Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4764

Although when I try to install this one, the install says it isn't
compatible with this computer. Contact the manufacture. So any
suggestions what to do next? I mean before changing out the motherboard
for one with an ATI X300 video?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: Ben Myers on
BillW50 wrote:
> I am working on my niece's Dell. She wants to run Sim3 (PC game). And it
> won't go too far without getting a "ialmdev5.dll - Page fault in
> nonpaged area" error. Which usually means you need the latest Intel
> video driver.
>
> What is already installed is:
>
> Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4693
>
> And that is the same one on Dell's website. Although on Intel's site
> they have a newer one:
>
> Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4764
>
> Although when I try to install this one, the install says it isn't
> compatible with this computer. Contact the manufacture. So any
> suggestions what to do next? I mean before changing out the motherboard
> for one with an ATI X300 video?

It seems that Intel has now locked down its video device and chipset
driver installers either to work with only its own generic motherboards
or to NOT work with specific OEMs. (I ran into the same problem the
other day.) You might be able to crack open the Intel installer EXE to
find the files that have changed between .4693 and .4764 and copy those
specific files to appropriate Windows folders, after making backups of
what is there now. But I doubt that marginally newer graphics drivers
will help. See below.

Does the D610 have enough hardware to run Sim3??? Apparently Sim3
requires a 128MB video card, which is not quite what is there with the
Intel on-board graphics. What about system memory??? Doesn't Sim3
require 2GB of main memory??? Is the system running XP? If so, SP3 ???

.... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

If you're sure that the system hardware is OK (in particular, is the
memory working correctly?) then try this:

Run the Intel graphics installer and let it fail. While doing that,
try to see if you can determine where it has put its installation
files. They're likely to be in a temporary folder. Search for them and
make a note as to where they are.

Now, if the installer won't do the job, the INF file bundled with the
drivers certainly ought to. But we need to keep it around, and that
means leaving the Intel installer running, while it is stalled at the
error message.

Go into the Windows Display Properties, choose the Settings tab. Click
Advanced > Adapter > Properties > Driver. Now you can click on the
"Update Driver" button. Choose to install from a list or specific
location.

Choose to not search for drivers. Point the wizard at the place where
the temporary files are located and choose OK. You may need to tell
the wizard that you want to see ALL drivers by unchecking the "show
compatible hardware" box.

Find the choice that most closely represents the hardware you have and
choose it. The wizard will follow the instructions outlined in the INF
file and it will install the driver for you, making all the needed
changes.

Restart when prompted. Windows should kill off the setup program, or
you can simply acknowledge the error after the wizard has set the
restart request in motion. Your new video driver should now be running
when the computer comes back up.

This issue comes up not because you have incompatible hardware, but
because Dell has customized the INF file that installed the graphics
drivers in the first place. I've seen other vendors do it, it's
irksome and totally pointless.

William
From: BillW50 on
In news:hhdccs$ngt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Ben Myers typed on Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:56:59 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> I am working on my niece's Dell. She wants to run Sim3 (PC game).
>> And it won't go too far without getting a "ialmdev5.dll - Page fault
>> in nonpaged area" error. Which usually means you need the latest
>> Intel video driver.
>>
>> What is already installed is:
>>
>> Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4693
>>
>> And that is the same one on Dell's website. Although on Intel's site
>> they have a newer one:
>>
>> Intel 915GMS v6.14.10.4764
>>
>> Although when I try to install this one, the install says it isn't
>> compatible with this computer. Contact the manufacture. So any
>> suggestions what to do next? I mean before changing out the
>> motherboard for one with an ATI X300 video?
>
> It seems that Intel has now locked down its video device and chipset
> driver installers either to work with only its own generic
> motherboards or to NOT work with specific OEMs. (I ran into the same
> problem the other day.)

Hi Ben! My Gateway laptops and Asus netbooks all use this same chip. And
I have used the drivers from Intel before for both of these. I don't
recall any problems. Although I usually find older drivers are better in
some cases. So I decided to give that a shot. I grabbed the Intel driver
from the Gateway website and it installed just fine on the Dell. It is
older yet at version 6.14.0010.4291. But now the Sim3 game wants to
download 119MB of updates. So I got to wait for that yet.

> You might be able to crack open the Intel installer EXE to find the
> files that have changed between .4693 and .4764 and copy those
> specific files to appropriate Windows folders, after making backups of
> what is there now. But I doubt that marginally newer graphics drivers
> will help. See below.

Ah that is a good idea!

> Does the D610 have enough hardware to run Sim3??? Apparently Sim3
> requires a 128MB video card, which is not quite what is there with the
> Intel on-board graphics.

DirectX Diag reports 128MB
EasyInfo (EA compatibility checker) reports 256MB

I was curious and this Gateway reports 128MB with both. And that is what
the Gateway specs says as well. I find shared memory video will report
different amounts and is perfectly normal.

> What about system memory??? Doesn't Sim3
> require 2GB of main memory???

1GB for XP. And this one has 1.5GB.

> Is the system running XP? If so, SP3
> ???

XP SP3. Sim3 also claims 2GHz CPU (this one is 1.6GHz). Worse if you are
using an Intel video, it wants 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2
Duo, or equivalent. So she is short there, but the game still should
play, but slow at times.

EasyInfo shows the CPU is too slow and everything else ok except for
Pixel Shader 2.0. Which it states it can't test for. It says the same
for this Gateway machine as well.

Ok Sim3 updates are done.

Okay the game seems to be working now. Don't know if it was the older
driver or the new Sim3 updates. I don't know anything about this game
(or most games in general). But the speed seems fine to me. Maybe deep
in the game it requires more.

I'll be back if I hit a glitch somewhere. And Ben, thanks again. <grin>

From: BillW50 on
In
William R. Walsh typed on Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:04:20 -0800 (PST):
> Hi!
>
> If you're sure that the system hardware is OK (in particular, is the
> memory working correctly?) then try this:
>
> Run the Intel graphics installer and let it fail. While doing that,
> try to see if you can determine where it has put its installation
> files. They're likely to be in a temporary folder. Search for them and
> make a note as to where they are.
>
> Now, if the installer won't do the job, the INF file bundled with the
> drivers certainly ought to. But we need to keep it around, and that
> means leaving the Intel installer running, while it is stalled at the
> error message.
>
> Go into the Windows Display Properties, choose the Settings tab. Click
> Advanced > Adapter > Properties > Driver. Now you can click on the
> "Update Driver" button. Choose to install from a list or specific
> location.
>
> Choose to not search for drivers. Point the wizard at the place where
> the temporary files are located and choose OK. You may need to tell
> the wizard that you want to see ALL drivers by unchecking the "show
> compatible hardware" box.
>
> Find the choice that most closely represents the hardware you have and
> choose it. The wizard will follow the instructions outlined in the INF
> file and it will install the driver for you, making all the needed
> changes.
>
> Restart when prompted. Windows should kill off the setup program, or
> you can simply acknowledge the error after the wizard has set the
> restart request in motion. Your new video driver should now be running
> when the computer comes back up.
>
> This issue comes up not because you have incompatible hardware, but
> because Dell has customized the INF file that installed the graphics
> drivers in the first place. I've seen other vendors do it, it's
> irksome and totally pointless.

Hi William! Ah yes... that is a good one. That one slipped my mind and I
should have thought about that one. Many thanks!

I am now reinstalling the Sim3. As they were speaking in a foreign
language. Hopefully my niece wanted them to speak in English. If not,
she is going to have to install it again. lol

You probably heard, I got the game running by using an older driver from
Gateway's website. I also updated Sim3 online at the same time. But
since I had to reinstall to get English, I'll see if just the older
driver was all that was required or not. Installing this game seems to
take as long as a Windows install. <sigh>