From: bosco on
Hello,

I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520
laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution
that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access
for divers. thanks

bosco

From: F8BOE on
bosco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520
> laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution
> that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access
> for divers. thanks
>
> bosco

Hello,

Not even USB?

When I install my favourite distro on a box I take the minimal (dual arch.)
CD and get the rest from a 80 GB USB2 HDD with the whole distro + last
updates mirrored on it.

It works great with MDV which has easily syncable repos...

To manage the computer pool at home, I use my local NFS server (FreeNAS)
which holds actually MDV 2008.0, 2008.1 and 2010.0.

Ciao @+
From: andrew on
On 2010-01-26, bosco <boscopelone(a)yhoo.com> wrote:

> I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520
> laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution
> that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access
> for divers. thanks

I am typing this post on a Latitude D520 which has run several versions
of Slackware flawlessly...

Andrew

--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
From: Ivan Marsh on
bosco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520
> laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution
> that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access
> for divers. thanks

Any Dell made in the last 10+/- years should be fully supported by any
RedHat based distro.

I'm running Ubuntu on mine.

(No, that's not a suggestion that Ubuntu is RH based)

--
"All right, all right, if it will make you happy, I will overthrow society."
  - Philip J. Fry
From: bosco on
On 2010-01-25 22:28:04 -0700, andrew <andrew(a)skamandros.invalid> said:

> On 2010-01-26, bosco <boscopelone(a)yhoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520
>> laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution
>> that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access
>> for divers. thanks
>
> I am typing this post on a Latitude D520 which has run several versions
> of Slackware flawlessly...
>
> Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I am wondering if you can help me out? The driver for the wireless card
loads, wireless starts, and then goes - not available. Is there a bios
setting doing this? I am kind of stumped on problem. Thanks

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Lower resource linux
Next: low end linux * follow up*