From: VWWall on
Moe Trin wrote:

> "The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
> continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
> computer hardware industry..." -- Henry Petroski
>
> Henry Petroski (born 1942) is an American civil engineering professor at
> Duke University where he specializes in failure analysis. bachelor's
> from Manhattan College in 1963 and his Ph.D. from uiuc.edu in 1968.
> Author of To Engineer is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful
> Design (1985). weekly contributor to the journal 'American Scientist'

What Western Digital and Seagate giveth, Microsoft taketh away!

I used to tell my reliability engineers that there was no such thing as
an "electronic" failure. When analyzed, all failures are mechanical;
they just show up as symptoms in the "electronics".

Then the software people found out how to produce a failure that was
neither electronic nor mechanical and could show up anywhere!

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
From: John Hasler on
Virg Wall writes:
> Then the software people found out how to produce a failure that was
> neither electronic nor mechanical and could show up anywhere!

All software "failures" are design errors. Software never breaks. It
either was designed correctly or it wasn't.

--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Grant on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:33:31 -0600, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>Virg Wall writes:
>> Then the software people found out how to produce a failure that was
>> neither electronic nor mechanical and could show up anywhere!
>
>All software "failures" are design errors. Software never breaks. It
>either was designed correctly or it wasn't.

Software design? Patching the patch's patches seems more like it ;)

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Moe Trin on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<nPSdnWeJaZvPhcPWnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, VWWall wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

[Petroski quote]

>What Western Digital and Seagate giveth, Microsoft taketh away!

That may be true as well, but the quote from Bob Metcalfe (one of the
inventors of Ethernet) is

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."

at a speech on May 30, 1996 at UofVirginia

>I used to tell my reliability engineers that there was no such thing
>as an "electronic" failure. When analyzed, all failures are
>mechanical; they just show up as symptoms in the "electronics".

Might be a bit of a stretch, because you can get some very interesting
failures with voltage or thermal (ambient) changes causing differences
in speed, which gets into a race condition. Electronic noise can also
give you heartburn. But I do recall one that drove me nuts for a
while - it was finally isolated as sound (high speed mechanical
vibration) causing frequency changes - minute, but enough to change
the heating produced in a transistor. I've seen microphonics before,
by this was ridiculous.

Old guy
From: Moe Trin on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<soasl5pe0lpvfol82pokvut0rqvbq7lc5q(a)4ax.com>, Grant wrote:

>John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>>All software "failures" are design errors. Software never breaks. It
>>either was designed correctly or it wasn't.

>Software design? Patching the patch's patches seems more like it ;)

You guys just didn't document all of the features, that's all.

Old guy