From: JD on
EBL wrote:
> I had to disconnect my Epson 3800 printer (connected by a USB port)
> from my Dell that is running XP Professional, SP3. When I reconnected
> the printer, the computer will not recognize it. I get the following
> error message: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has
> malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. Try again, or try a
> different device.
>
> I have done the following:
> Uninstalled the printer and all connected software (both in the
> Install/uninstall area and in the printers area). Reinstalled
> software and drivers using current version from Epson
> Deleted all USB ports and rebooted; successfully reinstalled all USB
> drivers
> Tested the epson printer plus cord on a different PC (a laptop); it
> works fine
> Tested other printers on the same USB ports; they work fine
> Contacted Epson, who said to do the above. Then they said it was a
> operating system issue.
>
> Help!

Why did you originally disconnect the Epson 3800 printer?

The Epson software for my R280 has to be installed in a certain way. You
have to disconnect the printer from the USB port and then install the
software and wait for it to tell you to connect the printer.

--
JD..
From: JD on
This doesn't make any sense. The printer should have reconnected and
function just like it did before.

How long has it been disconnnected? Did you consider a system restore to
before you disconnected the printer? I don't even know if that will work.

If nobody comes along with a better solution, you might try the
alt.epson.printers newsgroup.

Be sure to post back if you figure this out.

EBL wrote:
> I disconnected because I needed to use another printer to make xmas
> cards, and I needed the desktop space.
>
> Yup--as you say, there is a definite order in which to connect the
> printer. I followed it exactly (about 6 times!).
>

> On Dec 24, 7:06 am, JD<J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Why did you originally disconnect the Epson 3800 printer?
>>
>> The Epson software for my R280 has to be installed in a certain way. You
>> have to disconnect the printer from the USB port and then install the
>> software and wait for it to tell you to connect the printer.
>>
>> --
>> JD..- Hide quoted text -

JD..
From: JD on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:ujEouqKhKHA.1460(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
> JD <JD(a)example.invalid> typed:
>> EBL wrote:
>>> I had to disconnect my Epson 3800 printer (connected by a USB port)
>>> from my Dell that is running XP Professional, SP3. When I
>>> reconnected the printer, the computer will not recognize it. I get
>>> the following error message: One of the USB devices attached to this
>>> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. Try
>>> again, or try a different device.
>>>
>>> I have done the following:
>>> Uninstalled the printer and all connected software (both in the
>>> Install/uninstall area and in the printers area). Reinstalled
>>> software and drivers using current version from Epson
>>> Deleted all USB ports and rebooted; successfully reinstalled all USB
>>> drivers
>>> Tested the epson printer plus cord on a different PC (a laptop); it
>>> works fine
>>> Tested other printers on the same USB ports; they work fine
>>> Contacted Epson, who said to do the above. Then they said it was a
>>> operating system issue.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>
>> Why did you originally disconnect the Epson 3800 printer?
>>
>> The Epson software for my R280 has to be installed in a certain way.
>> You have to disconnect the printer from the USB port and then install
>> the software and wait for it to tell you to connect the printer.
>
> Yes, that's common with many printers. Some don't really care, but some
> actually do and fuss up if you don't follow the instructions. Checked
> the manual?
>
> Twayne

Why did you reply to me? My post was to confirm that Epson printers want
software first, printer connected second.

--
JD..
From: JD on
EBL wrote:
> Great suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem is still there.
>
>> Does Event Viewer give any hints or errors?
> No--went through that, and no hints
>> System Restore?
> Good suggestion. Unfortunately, for whatever reason the computer will
> not restore to any of the dates before the installation of the other
> printer using System Restore
>> Do you keep disk images or current backups you can try?
> My last backup was about a week before this happened
>> I assume this must be a direct-connection from your description?
> Yes, a USB connection. Have uninstalled and reinstalled all USB
> drivers
>> About the only thing you haven't mentioned is trying the printer on another
>> computer; any chance you can do that?
> Yes--it works fine on my laptop
>> HOW does the computer not recognize the printer? Do you get the error as you
>> plug it into the USB, power it on, or when you try to use it?
> I get an error message that says One of the USB devices connected to
> the printer malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. Try
> again or replace the device. The Epson printer is the only thing
> connected by USB to the PC.
>> Perhaps you're not setting the printer to default, and it's trying to print
>> on the other printer you did the cards on? But which is no longer there?
> I have deleted all references to the other printer, both in the
> printer menu and in Add/remove program.
>
>> I think I'd remove everything to do with the other printer and see what
>> happens; maybe the two don't like each other somehow. Remove both hardware
>> and software.
> Done.
>> I'd be real keen on getting it tested on another computer if at all
>> possible.
> Done (see above). Works fine.
>> I don't see how the OS could be responsible, but, while the printer was
>> disconnected: What was added to, installed on, or removed from the computer? You could
>> try reversing those as a long-shot if it was more than the other printer's
> Only thing was a new NEC monitor, and I no longer have the older
> monitor available.

The other variable would be what brand of printer did you use when you
disconnected the Epson printer? Maybe you could remove it's drivers and
software? Any chance it's a HP printer?

I doubt changing monitors could create this problem but one never knows.

Twayne has a thing for Registry cleaners. I don't think that is a good idea.

--
JD..
From: JD on
EBL wrote:
> Again, thanks to everyone who responded. Success at last, but I'm not
> sure which step worked.
> In answer to questions...
>
> The second printer was an Epson inkjet as well (1280). I deleted all
> files (drivers, software) relating to both epsons several time, and
> disconnected the second epson for good
>
> NOW--for the steps I took.
> I spent about 8 more hours trying things, including the following:
> 1. Turned off everything. Disconnected everything from everything
> else, unplugged all plugs from power for a few minutes. Then
> replugged in everything, and restarted. Still no success.
> 2. Updated chipset driver and BIOS (via information on the Dell
> Website). Restarted computer. Still no success.
> 3. Ran Dell 32 bit diagnostics (it said everything is fine).
> Restarted computer. Still no sucess.
> 4. Turned off PC, unplugged everything, waited a few minutes, and
> restarted. Still no success.
> 5. Waited overnight hoping Santa would bring me a new PC. No
> success.
> 6. Threatened PC with banishment. In the meantime, decided to rerun
> the Update of Chipset driver and BIOS, then disconnected everything
> and unplugged everything, and opened presents and drank coffee.
> An hour later, I replugged everything into everything else (except the
> USB from the Epson), and ran the Epson installation utility, and
> SUCCESS!
>
> I don't know what worked, but I have to think that it was probably the
> combination of updating the Chipset Driver and BIOS, then turning off
> and unplugging the PC for long enough for everything to reset (I have
> found out that USB problems occasionally require unplugging to be
> fixed). Hopefully my experience will help someone else at some
> point! Having this fixed is a great Christmas present for me!
>
> -EBL
>

> Add printer manually (rather than via Epson utility)
>

>> The other variable would be what brand of printer did you use when you
>> disconnected the Epson printer? Maybe you could remove it's drivers and
>> software? Any chance it's a HP printer?
>>
>> I doubt changing monitors could create this problem but one never knows.
>>
>> Twayne has a thing for Registry cleaners. I don't think that is a good idea.
>>
>> --
>> JD..- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for coming back and letting us all know the problem has been
solved. I've never seen or heard of the problem and I was not aware that
sometimes USB problems required threatening the PC. Thanks!

Or giving it a "time out" by unplugging it.

If it makes you feel any better, all Santa brings me is a bag of coal.
The good news is, it's a really big bag this year. 8-)

--
JD..