From: Jim Spriggs on
1st Semester Logic Student wrote:

> ... this is a philosophy class; which I know
> you hate.

Really?
From: William Elliot on
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, 1st Semester Logic Student wrote:

> Here is a link to the rules of SD. I'm supprised you guys haven't heard
> of it. It seems to be in every logic book I've seen although I know you
> guys are more math based and this is a philosophy class; which I know
> you hate. All the rules we use are found at this website. Although it
> is not from my university, they are using the same rules we (our book)
> uses.
>
> http://www.unc.edu/~theis/logic/SDrules.html

This web site if of no use as it uses too many special characters that
show up as weird graphics which render the text unreadable.
From: Ken Quirici on
1st Semester Logic Student wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We have recently moved on to the wonderful world of "derivations." :P I
> have found that there is more than one way to derive a sentence in SL
> from the premis. How would you guys go about showing that the following
> derviation claims hold in SD?

Do you know what 'SD' stands for? That might be a start.

Thanks.

Ken

From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
1st Semester Logic Student wrote:

> http://www.unc.edu/~theis/logic/SDrules.html

These rules look like a Fitch-style natural deduction system
for propositional logic. But what does SD stand for? It's not
a standard name for any logic I know of.

groente
-- Sander
From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
1st Semester Logic Student wrote:
> Any answers, advice, help, suggestions?

Some hints (or at least very good heuristics):
* if you need to prove something of the form A v B, then
usually you need negation elimination somewhere in your
derivation;
* otherwise, the overall structure of many derivations is:
first eliminate the operators of the premise(s)
(elimination rules), then introduce the operators of the
conclusion(s) (introduction rules).
* there are many exceptions to these "rules"!

groente
-- Sander