From: Eckard Blumschein on
Dear Dave Rusin,

thank you for revealing your personal point of view. Being in the
weakest possible position, I will nonetheless not swallow that set
theory has a sound basis. The reason for me to deal with Cantor's
original papers was not interest in history, religion, or philosophy. I
am an experienced engineer, and I got furious because some experts
objected against some simple and perhaps absolutely compelling
conclusions of mine just in order to obey set theory. I should also tell
you that I grew up in a frequently changing political environment. So I
used to carefully check all sort of tenets. In the end, I am almost
amused how many opponents of Cantor failed to show that he was wrong.

You wrote

> I confess that I don't know as much about math history as I should,

I would not see any reason to deal with it if the fundamentals were sound.

> but I offer no apologies for a lack of familiarity about religious
> history or philosophy.

This should be read as a serious reproach against Georg Cantor who was
unable or unwilling or both to grasp the most basic rule oo+a=oo, in
other word he did not grasp and/or deliberately denied the essence of
what has been accepted the basic idea of infinity in all science since
Aristotele and is still valid everywhere outside Cantorian mathematics.

> In particular, I don't think it's really a _mathematical_
> question to ask for what Cantor's notions were.

I see it just a temporary mathematical question. In principle you are
right, Henri Poincarý wrote: Future Generations will consider set theory
a disease to recover from.

> Certainly there is no justification for going from uncertainty about
> Cantor's original ideas

I felt forced to pretend uncertainty in order to hopefully reach mislead
experts. Actually, Cantor's blunder is quite obvious.

> to the question,
> > Does set theory really lack a reliable basis?
> since the "reliable basis"

Thank you for putting "reliable basis" into quotation marks.

> has been offered by (take your pick)
> Zermelo-Frankl, Bernays, etc.

I dealt not just with such mediocre proponents of a wrong concept like
Zermelo and the remedies they introduced but also with Hilbert. You will
find a few comments of mine at

http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M280.html

Zermelo was just the editor of Cantor's work. In 1904, the Hungarian
mathematician Julius Koenig objected against Cantor's claim of a
well-ordered arrangement of the reals. Cantor was already mental ill,
perhaps because he felt that his life-work was based on his fallacious
notion of infinity, and he got again very stirred. Spontaneously,
Zermelo came up with the blunt idea to just define without any proof his
axiom of choice.
What about Adolf Abraham Fraenkel, you should read his book "Einleitung
in die Mengenlehre", Springer, Berlin (1923) in order to judge his
anything but impartial attitude.

> Are you really objecting to statements like
> k + 1 = k for every infinite cardinal k
> which is a _theorem_ of ZFC?

Even if I am not a mathematician, I conclude from Cantor's violation of
oo+a=oo that his whole concept of infinite cardinality is wrong. In ZFC,
all sets are well-orderable, per definition. As far as I know, nobody
was able so far to arrange the continuum of the reals like a
well-ordered set.

> (You can, of course, state that the axioms of ZFC do not model
> anything which you find interesting, which is your choice. And you can
> object that the axioms of ZFC may be inconsistent, which as I'm sure
> you're aware is a possibility we cannot even disprove within ZFC.
> And you can propose alternative axioms which you think better capture
> your own intuitive sense of what sets are.

I do not have any own ambition in that direction. I am just looking for
a non-elusive basis of set theory. As I showed in M280, Even Cantor
himself learned to some extent that creation ý la Dedekind has its
limits due to the claim of mathematics to be self-consistent across its
branches including geometry, analysis, etc. and to provide appropriate
tools for application e.g. in physics.

> But none of that takes away from the fact that "set theory" as
> ordinarily studied is on as firm a foundation as any other branch of
> mathematics.)

I accept that "set theory" is on a firm but fundamentally wrong
foundation, having no tenable basis at all.

> dave (sci.math.research moderator)

While I see a little chance to persuade you personally, I am fully aware
that just very few personalities have enough courage as to purify
mathematics from Cantor who (according to Kronecker) corrupted the students.

> Having just read Lavine again and also original literature quoted in
> http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M280.html
> I would like to ask for the insight behind what Lavine again and again
> reiterated as Cantor's fundamental but for my feeling very strange
> contribution to mathematics: oo, oo+1, oo+2, etc.
>
> I am aware of Cantor's distinction between what he called 'Infinitum
> aeternum increativum sive Absolutum' referring to god and 'Infinitum
> creativum sive Transfinitum' relating to nature. While god's infinitum
> corresponds to the convincing definition by Spinoza, I am desperately
> looking for any tennable definition or at least reasonable
> justification of Cantor's own notion of infinity. Cantor's letter to
> Cardinal Franzelin is not mathematically persuading to me. Does set
> theory really lack a reliable basis?
>
> Dr.-Ing Eckard Blumschein

With sincere sympathy,
Eckard

From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Hi,

If your real numbers have basically a least positive real or
iota-value, then they are naturally well-ordered by their normal
ordering for positive reals or the widening spiral for positive and
negative real numbers.

If they don't, then nobody has an example for you, of a well-ordering
of the reals. Many agree that there is a well-ordering of the real
numbers or for that matter any set.

They do. That's pretty simple. Where they do, the proof of nested
intervals doesn't apply, and sets of numbers are measurable, with at
worst non-standard measure.

The antidiagonal result, that's kind of a different thing, and that
basically resolves to ultrafinitism, or a dually minimal and maximal
ur-element, that corresponds well to the Russell set, Burali-Fortian
Ord, the Liar, the empty set, and the Ding-an-Sich and Being and
Nothing, towards a theory that can be consistent, and Goedelianly
complete, Quineanly. Using these proper names is concision,
conciseness.

If you get to looking at Turing, a variety of statements about Turing
machines, that would seem to collide with, for example, what I say, in
the infinite may be true because they're about the finite. I have a
lot to learn about complexity and Kolmogorov.

A lot of people base their proofs upon statements that ZF is
consistent. Many of those theorems are still correct when ZF is
determined to be inconsistent.

Where the physical universe is all physical objects, and a physical
object, that's similar, in a way, to a set being a set of all sets,
about concreteness. That means it's empirical evidence of that kind of
thing.

Infinite sets are equivalent.

Ross

--
"This style is hard."

From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/7/2005 10:50 AM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If your real numbers have basically a least positive real or
> iota-value, then they are naturally well-ordered by their normal
> ordering for positive reals or the widening spiral for positive and
> negative real numbers.

I would appreciate you reading M280 first before commenting. Let me
explain why I am objecting against the possibility of arranging the real
numbers like a well-ordered set of numbers. I do not deny that the
continuum corresponds to an ascending order. However, it is impossible
to identify two immediately subsequent real numbers. After performing
border crossing into the actual infinity of continuum, any number, even
the embedded natural ones lost their property of being numerically
approachable.

I know that the least value was (wrongly) considered the problem, and
Zermelo came up with the axiom of choice for that reason.

> If they don't, then nobody has an example for you, of a well-ordering
> of the reals. Many agree that there is a well-ordering of the real
> numbers or for that matter any set.
>
> They do. That's pretty simple. Where they do, the proof of nested
> intervals doesn't apply,

Nested intervals belong to the rational numbers. When I refer to real
numbers I am referring to Cantors definition demanding lim n->oo.

> and sets of numbers are measurable, with at
> worst non-standard measure.

I commented on non-standard analysis elsewhere in German language. On
request I will translate my comment.

> The antidiagonal result, that's kind of a different thing, and that
> basically resolves to ultrafinitism,

I just share Kronecker's finitist position in so far that, while I do
not deny the continuum of the reals, I see it outside the realm of
possible representation by numerals.

> or a dually minimal and maximal
> ur-element, that corresponds well to the Russell set, Burali-Fortian
> Ord, the Liar, the empty set, and the Ding-an-Sich and Being and
> Nothing, towards a theory that can be consistent, and Goedelianly
> complete, Quineanly. Using these proper names is concision,
> conciseness.

Being aware of these meanings, I consider most of them not relevant to
my basic question. ZFC has no ur-elements (no atoms). I am not a fan of
Russell because he declared causality a relic of bygone time like
monarchy, etc. If I recall Lavine correctly it was Russell not Cantor
himself who is to blame for introducing the reals into set theory. So he
dealt with his own paradoxes. Well, Burali-Forte's paradox has to do
with the notion of infinite sets. However, in general, I do not intend
to remedy antinomies. I rather prefer clear statements like that by
Brouwer: The exclusion tertium non datur is invalid with infinity.
Except for an estimated 40 more or less famous opponents of Cantor's
theory, I do not know anybody from Kant to W.V. Quine who dealt with
Cantor's silly idea of counting oo+1, oo+2,... Even Wittgenstein's
objections did perhaps not hit the nail on its head.

> If you get to looking at Turing, a variety of statements about Turing
> machines, that would seem to collide with, for example, what I say, in
> the infinite may be true because they're about the finite. I have a
> lot to learn about complexity and Kolmogorov.

Turing would also distract us. Kolgomorov is one out of several
important constructivists. None of them tackled Cantor's fallacy at its
roots.

> A lot of people base their proofs upon statements that ZF is
> consistent. Many of those theorems are still correct when ZF is
> determined to be inconsistent.

Do not get me wrong. I do not attack details of set theory. I am
questioning the very basis of Cantor's theory.

> Where the physical universe is all physical objects, and a physical
> object, that's similar, in a way, to a set being a set of all sets,
> about concreteness. That means it's empirical evidence of that kind of
> thing.

Cantor's ideas on physical matters have meanwhile proven far from being
reasonable. Take this as food for thought for those physicists who still
believe in Cantor's correctness.

> Infinite sets are equivalent.

To finite ones? I agree to some extent.

Eckard

From: Dave Rusin on
In article <4254EA59.2040002(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> Dear Dave Rusin,

[Inexplicable mix of personal and public communication deleted.]

It is tremendously bad form to quote personal email in public.

(Not that I wouldn't have said any of this in a public forum, THIS TIME.
But not every letter I write is intended for public consumption.
Save it for my collected works when I'm dead.)

dave
"Just another uncourageous mathematician"

From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/7/2005 5:18 PM, Dave Rusin wrote:
> In article <4254EA59.2040002(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
> Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear Dave Rusin,
>
> [Inexplicable mix of personal and public communication deleted.]
>
> It is tremendously bad form to quote personal email in public.
>
> (Not that I wouldn't have said any of this in a public forum, THIS TIME.
> But not every letter I write is intended for public consumption.
> Save it for my collected works when I'm dead.)
>
> dave
> "Just another uncourageous mathematician"

You are quite right. I have to apologize for not asking you for
permission. On the other hand, as far as I can judge, you did not write
anything that was not ready to be published. Being a moderator, you are
fulfilling a very demanding job. I understood that you cannot continue
email discussions with those whose posting you were forced to reject.
My intention was to show that there are no factual arguments against the
let's say suspition that Cantor's transfinite numbers are lacking any
justification.

When I am mocking about Cantor in the threads "who is the most brilliant
mathematician who ever lived?" and "Cardinality question" I do so not
because I am intending to hurt people but because Cantor's fallacy was
treated like something to firmly believe and admire during a century of
biased agitation. Those who are really interested in clarification may
benefit from what I tried to excerpt from of the original papers into
http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M280.html

Sincerely,
Eckard Blumschein

 |  Next  |  Last