From: Will Twentyman on

> I dealt not just with such mediocre proponents of a wrong concept like
> Zermelo and the remedies they introduced but also with Hilbert. You will
> find a few comments of mine at
>
> http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M280.html

Reading this, it seems that your objection is that Cantor's work does
not correspond to your notions of infinity. So be it, just worry about
whether or not there are bijective maps between sets, set up equivalence
classes for those that do have such maps, and order the equivalence
classes based on injective/surjective maps existing. Don't worry about
"infinity".
--
Will Twentyman
email: wtwentyman at copper dot net
From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/8/2005 12:03 AM, Will Twentyman wrote:

>> I dealt not just with such mediocre proponents of a wrong concept like
>> Zermelo and the remedies they introduced but also with Hilbert. You will
>> find a few comments of mine at
>>
>> http://iesk.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~blumsche/M280.html
>>

> Reading this, it seems that your objection is that Cantor's work does
> not correspond to your notions of infinity.

Admittedly, I am not aware of any other reasonable notion of infinity
than expressed
by Aristotele: Infinitum actu non datur,
by Spinoza: Infinity cannot be enlarged,
by Gauss: "so protestiere ich ... gegen den Gebrauch einer unendlichen
Grýýe als einer Vollendeten, welche in der Mathematik niemals erlaubt
ist" and
by all other serious (i.e. non Cantorian) mathematical literature.
Those, in particular Galilei and Leibniz, who did not yet entirely agree
on how to calculate with infinity, nonetheless fully agreed on
some basic rules like oo+a=oo and oo^oo=oo.
Everybody except for Cantor's fellows understands why we write x->oo but
not x=oo. I am trying to explain that infinity is correspondingly just a
quality, not a quantity.

There are two questions:
1) Why did Cantor ignore the only reasonable notion of infinity
including the pertaining rules how to handle it?
Presumably he articulated widespread confusion between "infinite" and
"very large". I noticed that even Poisson and Weierstrass used the
nonsense term "infinite number". Most likely Cantor was driven by an
insane ambition to create something new. Recall Dedekind's careless
opinion that in mathematics any creation is allowed.
2) Why did he manage to find so much support?
I would like to abstain from answering this question because it relates
to human fallibility rather than mathematics. Warnings by Kronecker,
Poincarý and many others were ignored from Weierstrass and others. The
same Bertrand Russell who declared causality a relic of bygone time like
monarchy and who suggested a preventive nuclear stroke that would have
killed me wrote:
"The solution of the difficulties which formerly surrounded the
mathematical infinite is probably the greatest achievement of which our
age has to boast". Well, boast is the matching word if one tries to
judge how demagogically Hilbert, Fraenkel and others promoted Cantor's
transfinite numbers. The weaker the argument, the stronger the euphoria.

> So be it, just worry about
> whether or not there are bijective maps between sets,

I cannot see any reason for that. Cantor was correct in that rational
numbers are countable in the sense, they can be brought into a
one-to-one relationship to the infinite set of natural numbers.

Please notice, I am perhaps the first one who does not try to refute
Cantor's evidence.
This bings me to a fresh idea. There might ideed be a mathematical
aspect answering in part question 2): Cantor was like a matador. In
particular his second diagonal argument porovoked a lot of failed
attempts for refutation making him more and more famous.
I realized that the argument might be formally correct. All the attackes
felt that Cantor was wrong. Being, however, not aware of the true
location of Cantor's fallacy, they made the same mistake like Cantor
himself.
Please read M280. A translation into German is available elsewhere and
might hopefully a little bit more understandable in some decisive
details. Having originally stated that there are not more real than
rational numbers, I tried to exclude the possiblity to be mistaken by
writing: "There are neither more nor less nor equally many real numbers
as compared to the rational ones."

Eckard

From: Robert Kolker on
Eckard Blumschein wrote:

> himself.
> Please read M280. A translation into German is available elsewhere and
> might hopefully a little bit more understandable in some decisive
> details. Having originally stated that there are not more real than
> rational numbers, I tried to exclude the possiblity to be mistaken by
> writing: "There are neither more nor less nor equally many real numbers
> as compared to the rational ones."

I assume that you never never ever use the Axiom of Choice. Is that the
case?

Bob Kolker
From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/8/2005 10:52 AM, Robert Kolker wrote:
> Eckard Blumschein wrote:
>
>> himself.
>> Please read M280. A translation into German is available elsewhere and
>> might hopefully a little bit more understandable in some decisive
>> details. Having originally stated that there are not more real than
>> rational numbers, I tried to exclude the possiblity to be mistaken by
>> writing: "There are neither more nor less nor equally many real numbers
>> as compared to the rational ones."
>
> I assume that you never never ever use the Axiom of Choice. Is that the
> case?

Of course. I am not a mathematician, and as far as I know not even all
mathematicians prefer to use AC, e.g. Bell, while perhaps most
physicians prefer ZFC against ZF. My pertaining knowledge is very
limited. However, I looked into Cantor's work in order to understand how
he imagined to make sure that a set can be made well-ordered. His
concern was the first element of a set. Well, when Julius Koenig in 1904
objected against the possibility of a well-ordered set of the reals,
Ernst Zermelo came up with the remedy of AC. Following Dedekind's credo
that mathematics is to be created arbitrarily, one may add as many most
artificial axioms as one likes provided they do not contradict each
other. Maybe, I am to sensitive as to behave this way.

According to my reasoning, definition of the first element does not at
all make the reals a well-ordered set. The real problem is the
impossiblitity to numerically distinguish any real number from its
immediate successor. I consider a choice function inside the reals a
self-requiring assumption.

Eckard Blumschein

From: Dave Rusin on
Eckard Blumschein wrote:

>> "There are neither more nor less nor equally many real numbers
>> as compared to the rational ones."

Did you mean to say the _number of_ real numbers is the same as
the _number of_ rational numbers? There are some fellows over in
comp.ai.philosophy and sci.philosophy.meta you should talk to.

dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: arithmetic in ZF