From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/12/2005 5:33 PM, Willy Butz wrote:
In my previous
> posting I forgot to mention that it is not possible
> ordering cardinalities,

You should add that this only refers to transfinite cardinalities.
However, I guess the demand for cardinalities of finite sets will get
very limited as soon as one realises that infinite numbers are just
nonsense.

E.

From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 4/12/2005 5:41 PM, Torkel Franzen wrote:
> Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>
>> Cantor was mislead by his intuition.
>
> No, no! He was misled by a little furry creature who twisted his
> ears this way and that, and finally convinced him to gwak forth all
> this nonsense about infinities. We must counter the activities
> of these insidious furry creatures. We must be on our guard for
> further intrusions.

You did nor by chance refer to Bertrand Russel who was, according to
Lavine, responsible for applying Cantor's basic idea to the reals?

Eckard

From: Matt Gutting on
Gerry Myerson wrote:
> In article <vcb4qec7718.fsf(a)beta19.sm.ltu.se>,
> Torkel Franzen <torkel(a)sm.luth.se> wrote:
>

>>Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>>

>>>Since it is
>>>impossible to completely write down all infinitely many numerals of just
>>>one single real number, it is also impossible to name its successor.
>>
>> The impossibility of naming the successor of a real number is indeed
>>the central flaw in today's mathematics. Little can be done about it,
>>I'm afraid.
>

> Fortunately, no real number has ever died, so the problem
> of naming a successor has not arisen.

<obvious joke>
I thought that's what the cardinals were for?
</obvious joke>
From: Chris Menzel on
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:42:59 +0200, Eckard Blumschein
<blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> said:
> On 4/12/2005 2:00 PM, Barb Knox wrote:
>
>> I don't understand: here you appear to accept the distinction between
>> countably and not-countably infinite, yet your main point in this
>> thread seems to have been that there is only a single "oo" that
>> cannot be added to or otherwise extended. How do you reconcile those
>> 2 views?
>
> Cantor was mislead by his intuition.
> I do not attribute the difference between countable and non-countable to
> the size of the both infinite sets.
> Actually, infinity is not a quantity but a quality that cannot be
> enlarged or exhausted.

So you have decided simply to use the words "countable", "uncountable",
and "infinite" according to your own semantic conventions.

> Whether or not an infinite set is countable depends on its structure.

Sets don't have structure. What you seem to have in mind is that a set
is to be considered countable or not depending on how it is *ordered*.
So do you think the set of rational numbers is uncountable when ordered
by the less-than relation and countable when well-ordered in some
familiar fashion?

> The reals are obviously not countable because one cannot even
> numerically approach/identify a single real number.

It's not clear what it is to "numerically approach" a number --
certainly what you say is false if we understand "approach" in terms of
limits -- but could you demonstrate your thesis with regard to, say, the
real number 2? Haven't I just identified it?

Chris Menzel

From: Torkel Franzen on
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> You did nor by chance refer to Bertrand Russel who was, according to
> Lavine, responsible for applying Cantor's basic idea to the reals?

No, no! The furry evil creatures! Look out for them.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: arithmetic in ZF
Next: Derivations