From: H. Enderton on
In a recent post, Bhup pointed out (correctly) that we can interpret
PA into ZF. But then the post went on to say:

>6. Hence, if ZF is consistent, then every Arithmetical proposition is
>syntactically (i.e., independently of the semantic connotations of the
>above definitions of "truth" and "satisfiability") decidable from the
>axioms of ZF.

As George Greene remarked, this is wrong. The arithmetic sentences
provable in ZF (i.e., the arithmetic sentences whose interpretations
are provable in ZF) make up "merely" an r.e. set of sentences.
If we assume ZF is sound for arithmetic, then they make up an
r.e. set of true sentences. This can't possibly be anywhere close
to being the set of all true sentences of arithmetic (because the
latter is not r.e., or even arithmetical).

Let's give a name to the set:
Tzf = the set of sentences of arithmetic whose interpretation is
provable in ZF.
Then Tzf is a theory (it is closed under provability) and, being
r.e., it is a recursively axiomatizable theory extending PA.
(Tzf proves Con PA.)

And someone once told me a "natural" recursive axiomatization of
Tzf. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what it is. Does someone
out there in sci.logic land know what it is?

--Herb Enderton

From: Torkel Franzen on
hbe(a)sonia.math.ucla.edu (H. Enderton) writes:

> And someone once told me a "natural" recursive axiomatization of
> Tzf. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what it is. Does someone
> out there in sci.logic land know what it is?

It would be odd if there were such a thing.

From: george on

H. Enderton wrote:
> In a recent post, Bhup pointed out (correctly) that we can interpret
> PA into ZF. But then the post went on to say:
>
> >6. Hence, if ZF is consistent, then every Arithmetical proposition
is
> >syntactically (i.e., independently of the semantic connotations of
the
> >above definitions of "truth" and "satisfiability") decidable from
the
> >axioms of ZF.
>
> As George Greene remarked, this is wrong. The arithmetic sentences
> provable in ZF (i.e., the arithmetic sentences whose interpretations
> are provable in ZF) make up "merely" an r.e. set of sentences.

One thing that misled me in that presentation was multiple ways of
"interpreting" the act of "interpretation". I was thinking purely
in terms of the Tarskian sense of an interpretation as a mapping from
the language (or its parts) to some model-theoretic structure. But
there is another available and relevant sense of "interpretation" that
does NOT involve interpretations-of-a-theory-into-structures/models at
all, but rather is a purely LINGUISTIC sense of "interpretation" in
which
one takes elements of the language of Arithmetic and simply TRANSLATES
them into language-of-ZF. In particular, if one maps the
interpretation
to the *sentence*, it becomes ambiguous which of these two
"interpretations"
(of "interpretation") is meant. If you take some trivial arithmetical
sentence like s(0)+s(s(0))=s(s(s(0))) (which happens to be a theorem),
you could use ZF to construct a model of PA and ask what the
interpretation
of this sentence was in that model (0 will be the empty set, s(.) will
be some unary-function-represented-as-a-ZF-set, +(.,.) will be a binary
function, = will be a binary predicate, and the predicate will assign
T as the truth-value of the overall sentence). BUt you could
instead/also
just ELIMINATE everything occurring in this arithmetical language,
including =, by translating it into something involving only e (there
are formulations of ZF where e is the only predicate and where no
function-
symbols are needed at all, although the canonical dialect has them).
s(x) would be x U {x}; x=y would be Az[zex<->zey]; and + and * would
be,
well, complicated, but basically they would be the least ordinal
bijectible
with some set constructed from the two argument sets (in the case of
multiplication, that set could be, conventionally, the
cartesian-product
of the argument sets).

My point is that if one wants to talk about an "axiomatization"
of arithmetic under ZF, then new "axioms" one needs are instead
DEFINITIONS of the linguistic entities from the language of arithmetic
in the language of ZF. I know, definitions often ARE axioms, but
my point is that axioms are usually NOT definitions.
I mean definitions as conservative, as purely abbreviatory.

> Let's give a name to the set:
> Tzf = the set of sentences of arithmetic whose interpretation is
> provable in ZF.

I guess "interpretation" here must be the "linguistic"
interpretation, but when I was responding to Bhup, I was
thinking in terms of the model-theoretic one.

> Then Tzf is a theory (it is closed under provability) and, being
> r.e., it is a recursively axiomatizable theory extending PA.
> (Tzf proves Con PA.)

But there is a problem with thinking about Con PA
in this context, because Neither PA NOR ANY OTHER PARTICULAR
AXIOMATIZATION of first-order arithmetic IS EVEN RELEVANT to
this particular theory! One important thing about Con(PA) in the
context of G1 was that it was IN THE SAME language as PA.
In this context, though, Con(PA) is in the language of ZF
and there is no reason to think of "the axioms of PA" as axioms.
They are just theorems of ZF, and the question of what a provability-
predicate expressing provability FROM PA would even look like gets
COMPLICATED. The axioms of ZF are available for use in proving
things at every step in this framework. HOw are you supposed to
express about a derivation that it needs the PA-theorems but NOT
the other/additional axioms-of-ZF, when in fact ALL those axioms
are NEEDED to prove the theorem-hood of the PA-axioms??

> And someone once told me a "natural" recursive axiomatization of
> Tzf. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what it is. Does someone
> out there in sci.logic land know what it is?

I don't, but I share your hope that somebody does.
The only point I wanted to make (aside from confessing
my own confusion under ambiguity of "interpretation")
was that beyond the ZF axioms themselves, any axioms
you even MIGHT possibly need to add are just definitions.

From: Bhupinder Singh Anand on
On Apr 5, 7:31 pm, H. Enderton wrote:

HE>> ... As George Greene remarked, this is wrong. <<HE

I was actually seeking the putative flaw in the six steps of the
reasoning.

HE>> The arithmetic sentences provable in ZF (i.e., the arithmetic
sentences whose interpretations are provable in ZF) make up "merely" an
r.e. set of sentences. <<HE

This assumes that there is an algorithm that can 'pick' out the
provable arithmetic sentences of ZF. There may not be any such
algorithm.

In other words there may be no uniform effective method such that,
given a sentence of ZF, it can determine whether or not the sentence is
ZF-provable. However, given any ZF sentence, there may yet, always, be
some effective method - which is unique to the sentence - of
determining whether or not it is ZF provable.

HE>> If we assume ZF is sound for arithmetic, then they make up an r.e.
set of true sentences. <<HE

Actually, my argument sought to establish that ZF can be sound for
arithmetic, but that the set of arithmetical sentences provable in ZF
need not be r.e.

HE>> This can't possibly be anywhere close to being the set of all true
sentences of arithmetic (because the latter is not r.e., or even
arithmetical). <<HE

Of course, the set of true sentences under the standard interpretation
of any arithmetic such as PA is not r.e., since there are sentences,
such as Goedel's PA-formula [(Ax)R(x)], such that:

(i) [(Ax)R(x)] is not PA-provable, and so the standard interpretation,
(Ax)R(x), of [(Ax)R(x)], is not Tarskian true algorithmically - in the
sense that there is no algorithm such that, given any natural number n,
it can determine that R(n) is true;

(ii) the standard interpretation, (Ax)R(x), of [(Ax)R(x)], is Tarskian
true non-algorithmically - in the sense that [R(n)] is PA-provable for
every numeral [n], and so R(n) is true for every natural number n.

However, since ZF admits arbitrary infinite sub-sets of the natural
numbers, we can have the interpretation of [(AxR(x)] in ZF provable in
ZF, even though the corresponding arithmetical sentence is not provable
algorithmically.

My argument is that whereas PA proves all, and only, algorithmically
true arithmetical sentences, ZF proves all algorithmically, and
non-algorithmically, true arithmetical sentences.

The assumption that this does not exhaust the class of true
arithmetical sentences would, then, be an implicit admission of the
existence of arithmetical sentences that are Platonically true.

HE>> ... Tzf is a theory (it is closed under provability) and, being
r.e., it is a recursively axiomatizable theory extending PA. (Tzf
proves Con PA.) <<HE

Again, there may be no algorithm that will establish Tzf as r.e.

Regards,

Bhup

From: george on

Bhupinder Singh Anand wrote:
> HE>> The arithmetic sentences provable in ZF (i.e., the arithmetic
> sentences whose interpretations are provable in ZF) make up "merely"
an
> r.e. set of sentences. <<HE
>
> This assumes that there is an algorithm that can 'pick' out the
> provable arithmetic sentences of ZF.

That's not just an assumption.
Depending on how you interpret 'pick' (the fact that
you needed quotes implies that interpretation is relevant
and may vary here), this issue is decided, one way
or the other -- that's basically the completeness theorem.
If something is provable from a recursive first-
order axiom-set, then you CAN PROVE that. There is
an algorithm that proves it. But this problem is
only semi-decidable in that there is no algorithm
for proving that something DOESN'T follow from a
(sufficiently rich) first-order axiom-set. In the
special case when an algorithm for detecting independence/
NON-provability ALSO exists, we say that the theory is
decidable. PA is un-(or semi-)decidable.

> There may not be any such algorithm.

Wrong; there is; it's known; except it doesn't
"pick out" the theorems, but rather, RECURSIVELY
ENUMERATES the theorems. This is only half of what
we want, because if a candidate sentence is NOT
a theorem, this algorithm won't confirm that.
All you can do, basically, is start the theorem-
enumerator running. If the sentence is eventually
output by the enumerator, then it's a theorem.
If it never is, then it isn't, but you're not generally
going to know that a sentence "will never" be output
by the theorem-enumerator; usually, all you can know is
that it hasn't been output *yet*; and for PA and similarly
complex first-order theories, you can't recursively bound
the amount of time it might take to find the proof (or the
proof-length), so you never know whether you have waited
long enough yet.

> In other words there may be

Wrong; there is no "may" involved; the
answers to these questions are known and
this is basically the whole content of the
original proof of Godel's first incompleteness theorem.

> no uniform effective method such that,
> given a sentence of ZF, it can determine whether or not the sentence
is
> ZF-provable.

Indeed, for an absolute fact, there is no such "method",
if, by "uniform effective method", you are willing to mean
what everybody else means, namely, Turing Machine.
However, the problem IS SEMI-decidable: there IS a method
of CONFIRMING the theorem-hood of things that ARE theorems
(there is just not one for confirming the non-theorem-hood
of things that aren't). This is directly analogous to the
halting problem. There IS a TM (namely, the universal TM) that
halts on all&only those TMcode/input pairs where the encoded TM
halts on the input. But there is no TM that halts on all&only
those pairs where the TM DOES NOT halt on the input.

> However, given any ZF sentence, there may yet, always, be
> some effective method - which is unique to the sentence - of
> determining whether or not it is ZF provable.

Of course there is.
Given any sentence, either the "method" that says
"This sentence is provable" OR the method that says
"This sentence is not provable"
is correct. Both of them are certainly effective.
You just don't generally have any way of telling
WHICH of them is the "correct effective method".

> HE>> If we assume ZF is sound for arithmetic, then they make up an
r.e.
> set of true sentences. <<HE
>
> Actually, my argument sought to establish that ZF can be sound for
> arithmetic, but that the set of arithmetical sentences provable in ZF
> need not be r.e.

Again, simply, wrong.
The class of sentences provable in FOL from a recursive axiom-
set IS NECESSARILY, PROVABLY, ALWAYS, recursively enumerable.
It may even be recursive as well (although in the cause of PA and ZF,
it is not; that, again, is the whole content of Godel's 1st
incompleteness
theorem).

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11