From: Babylonian on

george wrote:

> > Obviously, ZF-provability includes provability by
> > means of LEM,
>
> PuhLEEZE. Obviously, it doesn't.
> LEM is from classical logic, not from ZF.
> You can apply intuitionistic logic to the same
> old ZF axiom-set.

The theory obtained by adding the axioms of ZF to intuitionist logic is
not the theory of ZF sets. PuhLEEZE.

From: george on

Babylonian wrote:
> No, the contrapositive is
> ~(p&~p) -> ~Ex[Px] and the inference
> ~(p&~p) => ~pv~~p is not constructively valid,
> nor is the inference ~~p => p.

OK, I'm sorry. I'm just intrinsically hostile to
intuitionistic logic (I don't even consider it a bivalent
logic; it is "really" something modal with a great
many degrees of modality and truth-values), so I
I forgot something that basic.

In int., you can't derive pv~p from nothing;
it's not tautologous; int. does not obey LEM.
I'm repeating that to myself to try not forgetting it again.

But you CAN derive ~(p&~p) from nothing, right?
There IS a underlying basic assumption of consistency,
right?

There is also the question of how to deMorgan/deny
first-order quantified statements.
Classically, ~(p&~p) is ~pvp, but intutitionistically,
it is not anything simple; it is something like
(p&~p)->(q&~q) for some q, right? But given that you
can't deny a conjunction simply/deMorgan, what happens
when you try to deny a universally quantified statement?
That is just the infinitary version of the same difference,
right? If we have have Ax[~Px], we can deny it classically
to get ~Ax[~Px] <=df=> Ex[~~Px] <=df=> Ex[Px].
I guess that is the kind of non-constructivity you are bemoaning,
right? Intuitionistically, Ax[~Px] -> p&~p
IS enough to get you ~Ax[~Px], but you CAN'T get from there
to Ex[Px] intuitionistically, right? Is that the problem?

> > which basically invites you to prove
> > ~Ex[Px] by cases, first under the assumption that p,
> > and secondly under the assumption that ~p.
>
> Proof by cases is an informal rule, not a formal rule,
> if it matters.

Maybe it is informal intuitionistically (it would
probably not even be sound in that case), but
it is formal in classical logic.

> Formally, you use a v-introduction rule.

Formally, classically, you use whatever dialect of
formalism you like, because classically, they are all
equivalent. Classically, v doesn't need to exist; it is
eliminable as well as introducible. Since pvq =df= ~(~p&~q),
anything you wanted to say with v can be said without it.
But classically, ((pvq) -> r) <-> ((p->r) & (q->r)) is a
a tautology, therefore, proof by cases IS formal.

> I do not deny that nonconstructive proofs can guide
> the search for constructive proofs - but in this case,
> all you have us doing is starting over and looking for
> a proof of (pv~p)->~(Ex)Px.

I fear I dropped a ~ somewhere.

> We'd rather prove (qv~q)->(Ex)Px,

That's the case I *meant* to be talking about.
It doesn't matter whether the "P" in question is
P or is ~P. Both of them are P's.

> and prove q or prove ~q.

Well, that's the whole constructive-vs.LEM part.
But that's the ONLY place that part is located.
My point being that both the classical AND
intuitionistic/constructive approaches agree
that proving (qv~q)->Ex[Px] is important.
But the classical people are willing to stop there,
(Ex[Px], by itself, follows immediately, classically),
whereas the intuitionistic/constructive people have to then
go on to try to prove one of q or ~q.
On the classical side, there is real scope for creativity
and research, because not just ANY old q will do; despite
the fact that pv~p is equivalent(as a tautology)to qv~q for
all p and all q, they are NOT all equally USEFUL as hypotheses
from which to prove Ex[Px]; contrapositively, classically,
if Ax[~Px] leads you to a contradiction, it doesn't lead you
to all of them equally; it leads you to a particular
(complicated) one FIRST (and only thereAFTER to all equally).

But I guess the real difference is this: classically, because
you get qv~q for free, you really might want to try desigining/
discovering a q that would get you TWO prongs of help, where
q might help produce Ex[Px] in one way, while ~q might help
in another. Intuitionistically, however, you only need one,
and the other doesn't matter, so bothering with qv~q is
irrelevant. Given a proof of ~q -> Ex[Px], what you next
want intuitionistically is a proof of q ->p&~p. While
that will also work classically, classically you have the
additional option -- the "easy way out" -- of proving
q -> Ex[Px] and invoking LEM. My remaining gripe is that
I still don't see how that is "non-constructive" -- both
q -> Ex[Px] and ~q -> Ex[Px] could be constructive.

From: george on

Babylonian wrote:
> > > Obviously, ZF-provability includes provability by
> > > means of LEM,

> george wrote:
> > PuhLEEZE. Obviously, it doesn't.
> > LEM is from classical logic, not from ZF.
> > You can apply intuitionistic logic to the same
> > old ZF axiom-set.

> The theory obtained by adding the axioms
> of ZF to intuitionist logic is not the theory
> of ZF sets. PuhLEEZE.

This is silly. One cannot "add" the axioms of ZF
or of any other first-order language to "intuitionistic
logic". Intuitionistic logic IS A LOGIC.
It is NOT an axiom-set (which is what ZF is).
Axioms do NOT get ADDED TO intuitionistic logic or
classical logic or any other logic. Rather, logics
are USED to INFER (sentences from other sentences,
using rules of inference; they prove theorems from
axioms. If you start with the first-order ZF axioms,
you will get one theory if you close them under first-order
classical consequence and a DIFFERENT theory if you close
them intuitionistically.
But to say that the classical way "is" "ZF-provability",
while the intuitionistic way isn't, is discriminating
against yourself. Intuitionistic provability is every
bit as legitimate as classical provability (you personally
would in fact say moreso), completely IRrespective of whether
the axiom-set-that-theorems-are-being-proved-from is ZF or
is anything else.

From: george on

george wrote:
> > Why "essentially"?
> > If you can prove p -> q then you ought to be
> > able to prove ~q -> ~p (it is equivalent).
> > In the case of Ex[Px] -> p&~p, the contrapositive is
> > (pv~p) -> ~Ex[Px],

I dropped a ~ there. The original context was, "if
we assume ~(Ex)Px". I said, "in the case of Ex[Px]".
I should've had the case of ~Ex[Px].
But classically,
~Ex[Px] is equivalent to Ax[~Px].
So, instead, let's start there.
Let's assume that we have derived Ax[~Px] -> p&~p.
What follows?
Well, both intuitionistically AND classically,
~Ax[~Px] follows.

> No, the contrapositive is
> ~(p&~p) -> ~Ex[Px] and the inference
> ~(p&~p) => ~pv~~p is not constructively valid,
> nor is the inference ~~p => p.

Right, and just as it is not intuitionistically
simple/deMorgan to deny binary 0th-order conjunctions,
it is not simple to deny the infinitary first-order-analogous
universal quantifier; we cannot get (intuitionistically)
from ~Ax[~Px] to Ex[~~Px], and even if we could, we could
not get from there to Ex[Px]. Classically, this chain is
easy: Ax[~Px] -> q&~q
int&cl=> ~Ax[~Px]
cl=> Ex[~~Px]
cl=> Ex[Px]
but intuitionistically, only the first link holds.
This proof is therefore non-intuitionistic, but why
is it also non-constructive? Because I was off by
one ~, I got correctly corrected this way:

> I do not deny that nonconstructive proofs can guide
> the search for constructive proofs - but in this case,
> all you have us doing is starting over and looking for
> a proof of > (pv~p)->~(Ex)Px.

Yeah, but that was by accident.

> We'd rather prove (qv~q)->(Ex)Px,

Right.
This is actually the case I wanted to be talking about.

> and prove q or prove ~q.

Let's take the contrapositive of that "shared first link"
above and begin by assuming we have a proof of
(qv~q)->Ex[Px], both intuitionistically and classically.
How do we get from here to Ex[Px] ?
Classically we get there trivially by LEM,
but if that is not available, how do we discharge the qv~q
hypothesis both intuitionistically and constructively?

The q arose out of a non-constructive proof and we begin
by asking if it provides guidance for an intuitionistic one.
The classical proof didn't produce Just Any old contradiction;
it produced one with specific relevance to the problem.
Is its relevance strong enough that ~q->Ex[Px] is provable?
If it is, then, classically, we might be able to do this by
cases instead of by LEM.
Having proved ~q->Ex[Px], you could then either
a) prove ~q, which would work both intuitionistically and
classically, or b) prove q->Ex[Px], which would not work
intuitionistically but would work classically.

My problem with calling one of these inferior to or less
constructive than the other is that I don't see how you
can dismiss the proof as non-constructive if both
q ->Ex[Px] and ~q ->Ex[Px] are constructive.
"Intuitionistic" and "constructive" are slightly different
notions here.

From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Barb Knox wrote:
> In article <1114872483.068141.225400(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Ross A. Finlayson" <raf(a)tiki-lounge.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >To be blunt, The Dedekind-slash-Cauchy definition of the reals is
not
> >adequate to define the real numbers, missing for example the "un-"
or
> >"non-" "computable" real numbers.
>
> Not so. The uncomputable reals correspond exactly to the the
uncomputable
> sequences of rationals that are their Cauchy sequences. The Cauchy
etc.
> definitions of real numbers say nothing whatsovever about
computability.

I guess I'm just against the notion of non-computable or
non-constructible reals. I was of the opinion that there weren't any
non-computable Cauchy sequences, now, I'm not.

One reason I think that is because I think the reals are non-standard
in the sense that besides being a field that they are as well a
contiguous sequence of points. I think that a real number can be
expressed in base one or base infinity.

You're right. I have a vague notion, that besides that all real
numbers are computable and that V = L, that the universe is the
constructible universe, that Dedekind/Cauchy comprise equivalent
definitions and are not adequate to represent all of the real numbers,
basically again due to the continuity of the number line, a sequence of
points. So, that there are non-computable Cauchy sequences because for
non-constant terms no finite sequence ever completes, agrees with you.

Basically, that gets into .999... vis-a-vis 1, or more accurately the
right endpoints of intervals (0,1) and (0,1], which are not equal.
There are various ways of defining those things. It's easy to see why
(.9, .99, .999, ...) converges to one, but not that (.9, .99, .999,
..9998, ...) does. With (1, 1.0, 1.00, ...), the difference of
consecutive terms appear to be a constant, but there are real numbers
between 1 and 1.1, 1.01, 1.001, .... The sum of 1/2^n for all positive
integers n is equal to one.

Anyways, thanks Barb, that helps clear my understanding somewhat.

This post doesn't have much to do with arithmetic in ZF, except V = L.
It seems that arithmetic as here discussed is about, to some extent,
bijecting the naturals or ordinals to some set of formulae. I think ZF
is inconsistent, because of regularity, and that instead the universe
of discourse is basically comprised of naturals, or alternatively
ordinals with the cumulative hierarchy. That's a similar notion as to
how a computer register, a finite sequence of zeros and ones, can be
interpreted as signed or unsigned number, where for the infinite
ordinals there is exactly one, in a specified way, finite ordinal, and
that that infinite ordinals is basically the negation or additive
inverse of that finite ordinal.

In ZF there is the Burali-Forti paradox, that the order type of
ordinals would be an ordinal, confoundingly, there's a paradox in ZF
with respect to, basically, arithmetic. That's the same problem as
that infinity+1 = infinity, and Cantor's paradox that the set of all
sets is its own powerset, and using flexible definitions Russell, the
Liar, etcetera, and a solution has to do with the dual representation
of the minimal and maximal.

Ross

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: What is wrong with this argument?
Next: Courage?