From: The great philosopher-criminologist on
What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

From: Woden on
"The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in

> What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

What's a god? Can you clearly describe what you mean in objective,
verifiable, and repeatable characteristics?

--
Woden

"religion is a socio-political system for controlling people's thoughts,
lives and actions based on ancient myths and superstitions, perpetrated
through generations of subtle yet pervasive brainwashing."
From: Doc Smartass on
"The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in

> What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

Well, there's no god, so it sort of gives you nothing to start from.

--
Dr. Smartass -- BAAWA Knight of Heckling -- a.a. #1939

Never use a weapon you don't like the taste of.
From: Denis Loubet on

"The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:1111874993.415822.226320(a)l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

Well, if it said to excuse the supposed actions of a god, then the one
saying it is stating that they don't actually care what the god they believe
in does, or what its motives are, they'll just worship it anyway.

It's a big denial of personal responsibility. It's like saying "I'll follow
that Hitler guy anywhere. I know he kills Jews, but I'm sure he has our best
interests at heart."

--
Denis Loubet
dloubet(a)io.com

From: grazer on
>What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

It's an excuse used by theists to justify inconsistancies in anecdotal
'evidence' of god's work. For example: "My friends mother got breast
cancer, so we prayed for her every day, and she got better by the grace
of god." "But thousands of people die of cancer every year!" "The ways
of God are mysterious."
As (mostly) rational people, atheists realize that there is no *more*
reason to believe in a God than there is to believe in a purple monster
with big teath living in our ventilation ducts. For example: "My friend
tapped on his heating vent and before him, he saw a sign of the purple
monster" "I have seen no such creature" "This monster works in
mysterious ways." This statement plays on the fact that I have never
actualy seen the inside of my heating vents.
Most atheists choose to define their view of the word around them using
science. Take, for example, the statement "There is no god"; Many
theists believe that to take this as true requires just as much of a
'leap of faith' as the belief in God. This is not true; given any
statement, the validity of which is unknown, and _for which there is no
evidence_, the likelyhood of it being true to the likelyhood of it
being false is not 50:50!
If I say that I believe that all earthquakes are caused by gremlins
living about 400km underground, would you believe me? You can't prove
me wrong. What if I go on television and tell the world of my belief;
would they all be taking a 'leap of faith' to dismiss my 'theory'? What
if millions of people shared my belief; would it be any more likely to
be true? What if the gremlins work in mysterious ways? lol

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next: arithmetic in ZF