From: Pavel314 on
"The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:1111874993.415822.226320(a)l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

Nothing wrong with it, although some will say that it assumes the existence
of God and that He "works", i.e., has a hand in the ongoing events in the
Universe, human affairs in particular, without so stating.

If we restate it "If there is a God and if He intervenes in our lives, then
He works in mysterious ways," it seems that the conclusion follows from the
premises.

Working from the standard definition of a monotheistic God, He is a being on
a much higher plane of existence, knowledge and power than we mortal folk.
It seems to follow that we would therefore be unable to follow His reasoning
in all cases. If God lets everything happen for a long-term reason, some
things will happen that we cannot understand, hence mysteriously.

This reminds me of the scene in "Amadeus", where Salieri asks, "What could
God have been thinking of?", much to the shock of the priest hearing his
confession.

Paul

From: Mike Oliver on
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> One could formulate
> it in one of the following manners:
>
> [1] There is One True God that everyone believes in.
>
> (Eg)(Ax)(Gg . (Px => Bxg) . (Ag')(Bxg' => (g=g'))) [+]
>
> This is demonstrably false

Perhaps, but not according to the line of argument
you've taken here, where you attempt (for example)
to demonstrate that Allah and the Christian God are
not the same being, by showing that Muslims and
Christians hold beliefs that would be mutually
incompatible if they *were* the same being.

All that shows is that (if the Christian God is
in fact the same being as Allah) then Christians,
or Muslims, or both, hold some false beliefs.

This is similar to an error committed by many
in sci.logic of identifying an object with
the properties of that object--for example,
when some speak of a proposition being "true
in ZFC".
From: Earle Jones on
In article <3ao7ckF62shfhU1(a)individual.net>,
desertphile(a)hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot) wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:17:51 GMT, "Dale"
> <dmgreer(a)nspm.airmail.net> wrote:
>
> > "The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in
> > message news:1111880705.429415.226920(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> Well, for some people, as long as they are comforted, that
> >> is all that matters.
>
> Golly, cocaine also does that. Should everyone run and and get
> doped up?
>
> > Then your original statement is not an argument, it's just a
> > comforting statement.
>
> Of course.
>
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "In social institutions, the whole is always less than the sum of its
> parts. There will never be a state as good as its people, or a church
> worthy of its congregation, or a university equal to its faculty and
> students." -- Edward Abbey

*
Desert: I have enjoyed your Abbey quotes. Keep it up!

earle
*

"One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real
bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork."

--Edward Abbey
From: Gavan on
"The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<1111880705.429415.226920(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> Denis Loubet wrote:
> > "The great philosopher-criminologist" <bedford_park2000(a)yahoo.ca>
> wrote in
> > message news:1111874993.415822.226320(a)l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > > What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?
> >
> > Well, if it said to excuse the supposed actions of a god, then the
> one
> > saying it is stating that they don't actually care what the god they
> believe
> > in does, or what its motives are, they'll just worship it anyway.
> >
> > It's a big denial of personal responsibility. It's like saying "I'll
> follow
> > that Hitler guy anywhere. I know he kills Jews, but I'm sure he has
> our best
> > interests at heart."
>
> Well, for some people, as long as they are comforted, that is all that
> matters.

How hypocritical that someone who espouses the virtues of an
organisation that proclaims peace and love for all would now say that
one's own comfort is all that matters.

Should we perhaps give Ted Bundy and Martin Bryant official pardon's
because they were comforted by murdering dozens of innocent people?

I wish people like you would realise that you only need one
commandment and it goes like this, "Thou shalt not be an arsehole."
It's quite a simple concept to grasp and doesn't require a series of
2000 year old convoluted rantings to appreciate.
From: jwk on

The great philosopher-criminologist wrote:
> What is wrong with saying that God works in Mysterious ways?

It is a cop-out.

Do I need to explain that to you? You are saying that your main
explainatiion doesn't make any sense, so, in desperation, to find a way
to justify the illogic of your chosen explaination (God), you use a
cop-out.

It's just a fancy way of saying "you win".

jwk
BAAWA

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next: arithmetic in ZF