From: amzoti on
On Jul 10, 5:07 pm, Vladimir Bondarenko <v...(a)cybertester.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 3:13 pm, tomcees_m...(a)yahoo.com writes:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/ba732b3f0e412993...
>
> T> I wonder if/hope another supplier picks up and supports
> T> this product! [Derive -- VB]
>
> Hello,
>
> Derive 6.1 is the world's #1 computer algebra system in terms
> of the math correctness/price ratio. It is unique in many
> respects, including its size, speed and scope. I had been a
> Derive beta tester during 1992-2005, to its very most recent
> release by Texas Instruments.
>
> An independent review of Derive by Ray Girvan, with a title
> I fully agree with, Derive 6: Far too good just for students
>
> http://www.scientific-computing.com/scwmarapr04derive6.html
>
> "Maths education is the main market for Derive, but Ray Girvan
> thinks this software should have a much wider appeal..."
>
> Derive 6.1 is available via Chartwell-Yorke Ltd
>
> http://www.chartwellyorke.com
>
> "Derive 6 Explore symbolic and numeric maths solutions from
> school to professional level. Particularly useful at KS4 and
> above. New version 6 shows calculus steps, exchanges data
> with TI calcs, has sliders to change values, and more."
>
> For someone willing to download a 30 days fully functional
> demo (about 6 Mb only), here you are
>
> http://www.chartwellyorke.com/D6setup.exe
>
> I can add that the VM machine shows that Derive 6.1 is the
> only commercial computer algebra system with a surprisingly
> low amount of defects. In contrast to Maple, Mathematica and
> MuPAD, regression bugs are practically absent in Derive
> during all its development history.
>
> By the way, imho there is much interesting stuff in Derive
> newsletters here
>
> http://www.derive-europe.com/support.asp?dug
>
> There is a number of tips and tricks here (in German, but
> you can still understand easily the mathematical formulae)
>
> http://www.austromath.at/dug/faq/f_faq.htm
>
> A group for the users of Derive, Derive XM, Derive for
> Windows, and the Texas Instruments TI-92/89 is here

> I have no commercial interest in Derive meaning I earn not
> a single cent for its advertisement but I adore this system.
> If you have any question about Derive please feel absolutely
> comfortable free to contact me at
>
> v b @ c y b e r t e s t e r . c o m
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vladimir Bondarenko
>
> VM and GEMM architect
> Co-founder, CEO, Mathematical Director
>
> http://www.cybertester.com/ Cyber Tester, LLChttp://maple.bug-list.org/ Maple Bugs Encyclopaediahttp://www.CAS-testing.org/ CAS Testing
>
> On Jul 10, 3:13 pm, tomcees_m...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > It appears that TI will no longer be producing Derive. [TI page says
> > it will no longer be selling it after June 2007.]
>
> > I wonder if/hope another supplier picks up and supports this product!
>
> > TomCee- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if they could be convinced to place Derive into the open
source community in order to further progress this wonderful
scientific tool (and I mean that in general for all CAS efforts)?

It seems odd to me that they would ever think that a package like this
was competition for a calculator - and maybe they were thinking of
merging the symbolic engine or a subset in the calc - but that doesn't
appear like it will work in this decade and the next (not enough
horsepower yet).

I wish that more of these would combine the benefits of all the others
and create a mega-CAS project which includes all the wonderful
packages that include such topics as number theory, abstract algbra,
algebraic geometry as well as all of the standard topics we all know
and love.

From: Jaap Spies on
amzoti wrote:

> I wish that more of these would combine the benefits of all the others
> and create a mega-CAS project which includes all the wonderful
> packages that include such topics as number theory, abstract algbra,
> algebraic geometry as well as all of the standard topics we all know
> and love.

Look at:

http://www.sagemath.org/

Jaap
From: Vladimir Bondarenko on
Two attempts to download SAGE here

http://www.sagemath.org/SAGEbin/microsoft_windows/sage-vmware-2.6.zip

ended in an incomplete/broken zip file of about 95 MB.

From: JB on

" I wonder if they could be convinced to place Derive into the open
source community in order to further progress this wonderful
scientific tool (and I mean that in general for all CAS efforts)?"

Not likely. That would be giving away an asset and TI doesn't give
away anything. They don't even give away information unless it suits
their purpose. For example, from time to time people ask questions on
their nspire site, such as does their download software called TI-
connect work with the new calculator called nspire. Such questions
simply get ignored. If and when they want you to know something you
will be told. It's a strange culture.

From: Vladimir Bondarenko on
http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/analysis/content/GraphingCalculators.html

(TI, HP, Casio, ...)

Although now rare in college and professional settings,
graphing calculators are still common in high-school math
education. But as full-scale computers become cheaper,
smaller and ever more ubiquitous, the future of standalone
calculators is increasingly unclear.

As the world's broadest and deepest mathematical system,
Mathematica's computational capabilities vastly exceed
anything that can be achieved with a calculator - and
provide a completely different level of educational
possibilities.

While calculators are easy to use for simple operations,
they rapidly become unwieldy when many steps are required.
Mathematica, on the other hand, is immediately able to offer
a fully scalable interface with dramatically more compelling
graphics and interactivity, as well as greater systematic
learnability.

With its unique document-centered interface and full support
for symbolic mathematical notation, Mathematica provides a
complete environment for educational computing, seamlessly
combining math, visualization, interactivity, programming
and text.

With support for the latest interface and presentation
systems, together with immediate access to thousands of
student-modifiable interactive educational demonstrations,
Mathematica redefines the role of calculation in the classroom.