From: Vladimir Bondarenko on
On Jul 10, 3:13 pm, tomcees_m...(a)yahoo.com writes:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/ba732b3f0e412993?hl=en&

T> I wonder if/hope another supplier picks up and supports
T> this product! [Derive -- VB]

Hello,

Derive 6.1 is the world's #1 computer algebra system in terms
of the math correctness/price ratio. It is unique in many
respects, including its size, speed and scope. I had been a
Derive beta tester during 1992-2005, to its very most recent
release by Texas Instruments.

An independent review of Derive by Ray Girvan, with a title
I fully agree with, Derive 6: Far too good just for students

http://www.scientific-computing.com/scwmarapr04derive6.html

"Maths education is the main market for Derive, but Ray Girvan
thinks this software should have a much wider appeal..."

Derive 6.1 is available via Chartwell-Yorke Ltd

http://www.chartwellyorke.com

"Derive 6 Explore symbolic and numeric maths solutions from
school to professional level. Particularly useful at KS4 and
above. New version 6 shows calculus steps, exchanges data
with TI calcs, has sliders to change values, and more."

For someone willing to download a 30 days fully functional
demo (about 6 Mb only), here you are

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/D6setup.exe

I can add that the VM machine shows that Derive 6.1 is the
only commercial computer algebra system with a surprisingly
low amount of defects. In contrast to Maple, Mathematica and
MuPAD, regression bugs are practically absent in Derive
during all its development history.

By the way, imho there is much interesting stuff in Derive
newsletters here

http://www.derive-europe.com/support.asp?dug

There is a number of tips and tricks here (in German, but
you can still understand easily the mathematical formulae)

http://www.austromath.at/dug/faq/f_faq.htm

A group for the users of Derive, Derive XM, Derive for
Windows, and the Texas Instruments TI-92/89 is here

I have no commercial interest in Derive meaning I earn not
a single cent for its advertisement but I adore this system.
If you have any question about Derive please feel absolutely
comfortable free to contact me at

v b @ c y b e r t e s t e r . c o m

Cheers,

Vladimir Bondarenko

VM and GEMM architect
Co-founder, CEO, Mathematical Director

http://www.cybertester.com/ Cyber Tester, LLC
http://maple.bug-list.org/ Maple Bugs Encyclopaedia
http://www.CAS-testing.org/ CAS Testing

From: JB on
Every one who has used Derive has a high regard for it but no one
seems to have any idea why TI would buy it, fail to market it
successfully, and now kill it. There was a rumor for a while that
they were going to put Derive features on their new nspire calculator
that that didn't happen. Does anyone understand what TI's strategy
was with Derive?

From: DP on

JB wrote:
> Every one who has used Derive has a high regard for it but no one
> seems to have any idea why TI would buy it, fail to market it
> successfully, and now kill it. There was a rumor for a while that
> they were going to put Derive features on their new nspire calculator
> that that didn't happen. Does anyone understand what TI's strategy
> was with Derive?

This is a major problem with commercial software. You never know
if TI did some deal with a CAS competitor which includes
scratching Derive. This resembles what happened to Macsyma, where
an unknown investor bought Macsyma and stopped to sell it further.
The result is a huge waste of intellectual effort.

In contrast open source software can not be stopped, and in the case of
CAS this is very important because a lot of efforts is invested on the
long term by users in their own software.

Dan
From: JB on
On Jul 11, 1:18 am, DP <pfenn...(a)obs.unige.ch> wrote:

> This is a major problem with commercial software. You never know
> if TI did some deal with a CAS competitor which includes
> scratching Derive. > Dan

I wonder if TI bought and killed Derive because they considered it
competition for their cas calculators?

From: Vladimir Bondarenko on
On Jul 11, 4:47 am, JB <wjb...(a)yahoo.com> writes:

JB> I wonder if TI bought and killed Derive because
JB> they considered it competition for their cas
JB> calculators?

1) TI-89/92+ etc has a built-in CAS ala Derive but
far much weaker in computational sense than Derive.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/afdf2d9b45df7359?hl=en&

2) "It was a capital mistake by Dave Stoutemyer to sell
Derive to TI... I always knew ADR was against this, in his
soul, badly... they would have more fame and money if would
have continued by their own."