From: David on
Form1:
I have a flexgrid where I show Form2 when a combobox is clicked.
(BTW, I use a keypress instead of subclassing for the mouse since this is an
issue with the combobox.)

Form 2:
Receives the combo.text in a lookup textbox on Form2 that
finds the text in Form2's listbox (using the combobox.text) and loads the
required controls with the correct information.

All works well.

If I have multiple vendors with the same name -- because of different
locations (e.g. GE which has multiple offices) they appear multiple times
within Form2's listbox. It is up to the user to distinquish the location
based on the address when dealing with Form 2.

======= PROBLEM =========

When passing the Combobox text X-Form, there is No way to distinquish as
company names (e.g GE) are not unique.

Other than adding a prefix or suffix to the name to make each location
unique -- anyone have any suggestions on another way to approach this?

Thanks

David

From: Larry Serflaten on

"David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> wrote
> ======= PROBLEM =========
>
> When passing the Combobox text X-Form, there is No way to distinquish as
> company names (e.g GE) are not unique.
>
> Other than adding a prefix or suffix to the name to make each location
> unique -- anyone have any suggestions on another way to approach this?

The obvious answer is that you need more data to identify the individual
items. The combobox's ItemData comes to mind where you can associate
some integer value to each item in the combo list.

LFS

From: Bee on
delete listbox

use listview in report mode.
use .text only
use a tooltip per row

Dim itmX As ListItem

ListView1.View = lvwReport
ListView1.ColumnHeaders.Add , , ""
ListView1.HideColumnHeaders = True
ListView1.ColumnHeaders(1).Width = Me.Width

' the first row
Set itmX = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, , "Your Text1")
itmX.ToolTipText = "A Tooltip1"

' the next
Set itmX = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, , "Your Text2")
itmX.ToolTipText = "A Tooltip2"

and so on

From: David on
Bee

Thanks for responding.

Will give some thought to a listview. See LFS post (following)
as he's hit on the "key" issue.

From: David on
LFS:

Thanks for responding.

Good Idea.

The combo does have the DBRcdID in ItemData.
Was passing text (the company name) as easy
entry into the lookup text box in Form2. I use ItemData
elsewhere in Form1 to save combo results to DB, but
overlooked it for XForm usage.

Will check it out.

Have a nice day.

David

"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote in message

> "David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> wrote
>> ======= PROBLEM =========
>>
>> When passing the Combobox text X-Form, there is No way to distinquish
>> as
>> company names (e.g GE) are not unique.
>>
>> Other than adding a prefix or suffix to the name to make each location
>> unique -- anyone have any suggestions on another way to approach this?
>

> The obvious answer is that you need more data to identify the individual
> items. The combobox's ItemData comes to mind where you can associate
> some integer value to each item in the combo list.
>
> LFS

Pages: 1
Prev: Screen Refresh failure
Next: Label printing in VB6