From: David Kerber on
Are there any libraries out there for managing laser printer labels in
vb6? Specifically, the function I don't really want to reinvent is the
ability to select a specific label on a sheet of them as the target for
printing.

The purpose is to be able to print labels one at a time instead of
having to do a whole sheet of them at once.

I'm sure I could kludge up something that would work for a specific
label layout, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions appreciated!
From: Helmut Meukel on
"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Are there any libraries out there for managing laser printer labels in
> vb6? Specifically, the function I don't really want to reinvent is the
> ability to select a specific label on a sheet of them as the target for
> printing.
>
> The purpose is to be able to print labels one at a time instead of
> having to do a whole sheet of them at once.
>
> I'm sure I could kludge up something that would work for a specific
> label layout, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!

Hmm,

for printing one single label a laser printer isn't optimal. If there are
12 ore more labels per sheet, then for the twelfth label the sheet went
12 times through the printer, heated up every time. This may affect
the glue on the label. The chance of labels coming off inside the printer
is very high.

Have you thought about one of the cheap label printers using thermo
print heads? (Dymo, Avery, Brother, ...)

Helmut..

From: GS on
<AFAIK> Most label printing software is template driven and so
selecting a template is what you're going to have to do. As for a
library to manage printing (on any printer), the only one I'm familiar
with is Avery's because it's used by their MS Office label addins. I
can't say if it's available as, (or licensed as) a distributable
library, but the MS Office addins use VBA to interface with it. Might
not be worth inquiring directly to Avery because they want people to
use their stuff, but you never know..!

Also, Helmut's advice about using a laser printer for single labels has
good merit!
--
Garry

David Kerber brought next idea :

From: David Kerber on
In article <OcCEDaZ3KHA.4332(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de
says...

> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Are there any libraries out there for managing laser printer labels in
> > vb6? Specifically, the function I don't really want to reinvent is the
> > ability to select a specific label on a sheet of them as the target for
> > printing.
> >
> > The purpose is to be able to print labels one at a time instead of
> > having to do a whole sheet of them at once.
> >
> > I'm sure I could kludge up something that would work for a specific
> > label layout, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated!
>

> Hmm,
>
> for printing one single label a laser printer isn't optimal. If there are
> 12 ore more labels per sheet, then for the twelfth label the sheet went
> 12 times through the printer, heated up every time. This may affect
> the glue on the label. The chance of labels coming off inside the printer
> is very high.

Yeah, we've seen that with some cheap labels. The ones we're using now
seem to hold up for enough passes for that not to happen.

> Have you thought about one of the cheap label printers using thermo
> print heads? (Dymo, Avery, Brother, ...)

We have one for smaller labels, but the ones we're running through the
laser printer are much bigger, so there are only 6 per sheet. Do these
specialized label printers handle that size labels?

From: David Kerber on
In article <urgx6hZ3KHA.5820(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> <AFAIK> Most label printing software is template driven and so
> selecting a template is what you're going to have to do. As for a
> library to manage printing (on any printer), the only one I'm familiar
> with is Avery's because it's used by their MS Office label addins. I
> can't say if it's available as, (or licensed as) a distributable
> library, but the MS Office addins use VBA to interface with it. Might
> not be worth inquiring directly to Avery because they want people to
> use their stuff, but you never know..!

Good idea; I had seen Avery's libs before, but it's beens several years,
and I had forgotten about them.

This is just for in-house use, and will not be distributed outside our
company, so distribution licensing won't be an issue.