From: Mark Atherton on
Hi All,

I am interested in creating a win32 editor application which allows me
to create a drawing using pre-define symbols then allows me to wire
them together.

This will be something like a very simple schematic capture package.
It should also be possible to double click on the symbols once they
have been entered to allow associated parameters to be changed.

Output needs to be a file in the form of a netlist containing each
symbols and associated parameters and a description of how they are
interconnected. This file needs to be able to be re-loaded back into
the editor package for update.

Would this possible using VB6 ?

Are there any open source projects that I should look at as a starting
point ?

Are there any other USENET groups where I should be asking this
question ?

Comments and thoughts please.

Thanks,

Mark
From: Auric__ on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:16:24 GMT, Mark Atherton wrote:

> I am interested in creating a win32 editor application which allows me
> to create a drawing using pre-define symbols then allows me to wire
> them together.
>
> This will be something like a very simple schematic capture package.
> It should also be possible to double click on the symbols once they
> have been entered to allow associated parameters to be changed.

Diagramming software. Not a new idea.

> Output needs to be a file in the form of a netlist containing each
> symbols and associated parameters and a description of how they are
> interconnected. This file needs to be able to be re-loaded back into
> the editor package for update.
>
> Would this possible using VB6 ?

Anything's *possible*, the question is, is it worth your time?

> Are there any open source projects that I should look at as a starting
> point ?

A few listed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagramming_program

> Are there any other USENET groups where I should be asking this
> question ?
>
> Comments and thoughts please.

I think it should be possible to bash together something simple in a few
hours. It's all a matter of how complex myou decide to make it.

--
The irony of that statement is almost overwhelming.
From: Mark Atherton on
What a sweet reply.

Actually I want ownership of the IP, not novelty.

From: Auric__ on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:33:22 GMT, Mark Atherton wrote:

Please don't top-post. Responses flow better when placed *after* the text
they're replying to.

> On Mar 24, 1:44�am, "Auric__" <not.my.r...(a)email.address> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:16:24 GMT, Mark Atherton wrote:
>> > I am interested in creating a win32 editor application which allows me
>> > to create a drawing using pre-define symbols then allows me to wire
>> > them together.
>>
>> > This will be something like a very simple schematic capture package.
>> > It should also be possible to double click on the symbols once they
>> > have been entered to allow associated parameters to be changed.
>>
>> Diagramming software. Not a new idea.
>>
>> > Output needs to be a file in the form of a netlist containing each
>> > symbols and associated parameters and a description of how they are
>> > interconnected. This file needs to be able to be re-loaded back into
>> > the editor package for update.
>>
>> > Would this possible using VB6 ?
>>
>> Anything's *possible*, the question is, is it worth your time?
>>
>> > Are there any open source projects that I should look at as a starting
>> > point ?
>>
>> A few listed here:
>> �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagramming_program
>>
>> > Are there any other USENET groups where I should be asking this
>> > question ?
>>
>> > Comments and thoughts please.
>>
>> I think it should be possible to bash together something simple in a few
>> hours. It's all a matter of how complex myou decide to make it.
>>
>> --
>> The irony of that statement is almost overwhelming.

> What a sweet reply.

??? It was a serious reply. Is there something wrong with what I wrote?

(Or are you referring to my sig? If so, that is randomly selected by an
external program and has nothing to do with the text of my reply.)

> Actually I want ownership of the IP, not novelty.

Then stay far, far away from open source. If you start with an open source
project, then you will only "own" the changes you make, not the original
software.

--
George thought he recognized that flying dog.
From: Martin Trump on
> I am interested in creating a win32 editor application which allows me
> to create a drawing using pre-define symbols then allows me to wire
> them together.

Should be pretty quick to write a simple one. Mike W answered a query of
mine here recently by posting a very short piece of code that allows one
or more PictureBoxes to be dragged around another one. I don't think he
would mind me re-posting it if that would help.

Not sure what 'wire together' means.

Martin