From: Peter Olcott on
If you can't be polite I will not talk to you anymore!

From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/22/2010 4:50 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:50:40 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> I already posted it you should be able to tell. I also checked on
>> another (more specialized) newsgroup for alternative designs. There were
>> only two basic alternatives provided. Joe said that hand coded lexers
>> can be faster than table driven ones. The evidence that he provided for
>> the is a paper that showed improvements to table driven parsers.
> ****
> And that implementation has a hard-coded lexer in it as well. I was searching for a paper
> that corresponded to Nigel's presentation to our working group, and that was the closest
> one to what he presented. The lexer is generated from the lex tables. It's hard code all
> the way down. Maybe you can go read some of his other papers. I'm not going to take the
> time to justify every little detail to you.
> joe
> ****

There are only three basic designs for lexers that I uncovered:
(1) Case statement within case statement solutions
(2) Multiple sequences of if else if statements
(3) State transition matrix based solutions

It seems that the latter one has far fewer instructions in its
instruction trace table, and in many cases (such as the UTF8_to_UTF32
converter) is small enough to entirely fit within cache.

Although you have convinced me that one can not be sure of the actual
relative performance without actual benchmark testing, I am still going
with the last option as the best choice. Others can feel free to
benchmark against this choice when I complete this code next week.
From: Hector Santos on
Pedro,

You should feel lucky of the few people still responding to you! You
are like a sad lost puppy that people want to fed out of sympathy.
You do notice that almost everyone tells you, in their own ways,
subtle or not, you're an idiot? You did say you were unemployed.
Ever wonder why? Ever wonder why you still having produced any
product in 11 years? Not even any evidence of usable software FOR
ANYTHING OR ANYONE? Ever wonder why you always are proven wrong for
ALL claims you make?

--
HLS

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:33:43 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/22/2010 4:50 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> See below...
>> On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:50:40 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I already posted it you should be able to tell. I also checked on
>>> another (more specialized) newsgroup for alternative designs. There were
>>> only two basic alternatives provided. Joe said that hand coded lexers
>>> can be faster than table driven ones. The evidence that he provided for
>>> the is a paper that showed improvements to table driven parsers.
>> ****
>> And that implementation has a hard-coded lexer in it as well. I was searching for a paper
>> that corresponded to Nigel's presentation to our working group, and that was the closest
>> one to what he presented. The lexer is generated from the lex tables. It's hard code all
>> the way down. Maybe you can go read some of his other papers. I'm not going to take the
>> time to justify every little detail to you.
>> joe
>> ****
>
>There are only three basic designs for lexers that I uncovered:
>(1) Case statement within case statement solutions
>(2) Multiple sequences of if else if statements
>(3) State transition matrix based solutions
****
(4) The case-pair decoder, with the current state and character pair

Note that I already showed you this, so it would have taken zero effort to "uncover" it.
Weren't you paying attention? I even wrote out the code, and it is not any of the above
three cases!
joe
****

>It seems that the latter one has far fewer instructions in its
>instruction trace table, and in many cases (such as the UTF8_to_UTF32
>converter) is small enough to entirely fit within cache.
>
>Although you have convinced me that one can not be sure of the actual
>relative performance without actual benchmark testing, I am still going
>with the last option as the best choice. Others can feel free to
>benchmark against this choice when I complete this code next week.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/22/2010 11:38 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:33:43 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/22/2010 4:50 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>>> See below...

>>> ****
>>> And that implementation has a hard-coded lexer in it as well. I was searching for a paper
>>> that corresponded to Nigel's presentation to our working group, and that was the closest
>>> one to what he presented. The lexer is generated from the lex tables. It's hard code all
>>> the way down. Maybe you can go read some of his other papers. I'm not going to take the
>>> time to justify every little detail to you.
>>> joe
>>> ****
>>
>> There are only three basic designs for lexers that I uncovered:
>> (1) Case statement within case statement solutions
>> (2) Multiple sequences of if else if statements
>> (3) State transition matrix based solutions
> ****
> (4) The case-pair decoder, with the current state and character pair
That is (1) above.