From: Bret Cahill on
Is there any circuit simulator that accounts for overload and failure
of components?

Bret Cahill

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:01:59 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill
<BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

>Is there any circuit simulator that accounts for overload and failure
>of components?
>

>Bret Cahill

One of the dorkier simulators would put little animated flames over
the symbols of parts that dissipated too much power.

But that's a gimmick. It's hard for Spice to understand your intent,
application, heatsinking, and duty cycles.

LT Spice will generate an "efficiency report" which lists power
dissipation of various components.

John

From: Bret Cahill on
> >Is there any circuit simulator that accounts for overload and failure
> >of components?
>
> >Bret Cahill
>
> One of the dorkier simulators would put little animated flames over
> the symbols of parts that dissipated too much power.
>
> But that's a gimmick. It's hard for Spice to understand your intent,
> application, heatsinking, and duty cycles.

It would have to be set up with inputs for current, wattage or voltage
limits. Usually in reliability you have one distribution curve for
strength and another for expected loading over the lifetime of a
structure.

Another much more daunting but related undertaking would be to take
the electronics / mechanics analogy much further, i.e., determining
the electronic analogues to Coriolis forces, angular momentum, moment
of inertia in beam bending, etc.

The principle difference is few care if someone burns up a chip but
just about everyone cares if an RC building or prestressed concrete
overpass comes down. Even that difference fades in power production.

A serious attempt at such a project would probably yield a lot of
valuable insights and innovations long before it was completed.

Instead of using SPICE for simple mechanical impedance problems a
generalized application could be used for either.

A single click would convert mechanical to electronic and vice versa..

Bret Cahill

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:53:09 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill
<BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

>> >Is there any circuit simulator that accounts for overload and failure
>> >of components?
>>
>> >Bret Cahill
>>
>> One of the dorkier simulators would put little animated flames over
>> the symbols of parts that dissipated too much power.
>>
>> But that's a gimmick. It's hard for Spice to understand your intent,
>> application, heatsinking, and duty cycles.
>
>It would have to be set up with inputs for current, wattage or voltage
>limits. Usually in reliability you have one distribution curve for
>strength and another for expected loading over the lifetime of a
>structure.
>
>Another much more daunting but related undertaking would be to take
>the electronics / mechanics analogy much further, i.e., determining
>the electronic analogues to Coriolis forces, angular momentum, moment
>of inertia in beam bending, etc.

Those of us who are electronics design engineers don't work by
analogy. We use real facts and hard numbers.

There are accepted ways to calculate MTBF of electronic systems, and
accepted ways to stress and test actual working hardware. A good EE
can design electronics that has multiples longer MTBF than the
MIL-HDBK-217 or Bellcore calculations suggest. A bad designer will
often come in much, much worse.

>The principle difference is few care if someone burns up a chip but
>just about everyone cares if an RC building or prestressed concrete
>overpass comes down. Even that difference fades in power production.
>
>A serious attempt at such a project would probably yield a lot of
>valuable insights and innovations long before it was completed.
>
>Instead of using SPICE for simple mechanical impedance problems a
>generalized application could be used for either.
>
>A single click would convert mechanical to electronic and vice versa..

None of that last part makes sense to me.

John

From: YD on
Late at night, by candle light, Bret Cahill <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com>
penned this immortal opus:

>> >Is there any circuit simulator that accounts for overload and failure
>> >of components?
>>
>> >Bret Cahill
>>
>> One of the dorkier simulators would put little animated flames over
>> the symbols of parts that dissipated too much power.
>>
>> But that's a gimmick. It's hard for Spice to understand your intent,
>> application, heatsinking, and duty cycles.
>
>It would have to be set up with inputs for current, wattage or voltage
>limits. Usually in reliability you have one distribution curve for
>strength and another for expected loading over the lifetime of a
>structure.
>
>Another much more daunting but related undertaking would be to take
>the electronics / mechanics analogy much further, i.e., determining
>the electronic analogues to Coriolis forces, angular momentum, moment
>of inertia in beam bending, etc.

That's what analog computers were made for. Convert the mechanical
values into their electrical equivalents (analogues), set up the
circuitry, let it run and plot the outputs. The operational amplifiers
did the mathematics (operations). Nowadays digital computers do it
faster with more accuracy.

- YD.
--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.