From: Dan Beck on
Hello all,

a related issue came up in the pinball newsgroup I read regularly...

Suppose you have an AC electric motor that spins at 100 rpm when supplied
with a 110 VAC, 60 Hz electricity source. If you could change the frequency
of the AC from 50 Hz to 60 Hz, what would be the resulting performance
change (if any) of the above theoretical motor? No, I am not in college any
more *sniff, 25 years past that*, looking for homework assistance :-)

Thank you in advance for any and all responses!
Dan

From: Tom Biasi on

"Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*NOSPAM*cableone.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> a related issue came up in the pinball newsgroup I read regularly...
>
> Suppose you have an AC electric motor that spins at 100 rpm when supplied
> with a 110 VAC, 60 Hz electricity source. If you could change the
> frequency of the AC from 50 Hz to 60 Hz, what would be the resulting
> performance change (if any) of the above theoretical motor? No, I am not
> in college any more *sniff, 25 years past that*, looking for homework
> assistance :-)
>
> Thank you in advance for any and all responses!
> Dan

It depends on what kind of motor it is.

From: Jamie on
Dan Beck wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> a related issue came up in the pinball newsgroup I read regularly...
>
> Suppose you have an AC electric motor that spins at 100 rpm when supplied
> with a 110 VAC, 60 Hz electricity source. If you could change the frequency
> of the AC from 50 Hz to 60 Hz, what would be the resulting performance
> change (if any) of the above theoretical motor? No, I am not in college any
> more *sniff, 25 years past that*, looking for homework assistance :-)
>
> Thank you in advance for any and all responses!
> Dan

it you increase operating frequency, it'll spin faster..

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Jamie wrote:

> Dan Beck wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > a related issue came up in the pinball newsgroup I read regularly...
> >
> > Suppose you have an AC electric motor that spins at 100 rpm when supplied
> > with a 110 VAC, 60 Hz electricity source. If you could change the frequency
> > of the AC from 50 Hz to 60 Hz, what would be the resulting performance
> > change (if any) of the above theoretical motor? No, I am not in college any
> > more *sniff, 25 years past that*, looking for homework assistance :-)
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any and all responses!
> > Dan
> >

> it you increase operating frequency, it'll spin faster..

You need to adjust the voltage. Look at the data on VFD drives for
ideas.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: John Larkin on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 06:58:06 -0700, "Dan Beck"
<biscuitbecks@*NOSPAM*cableone.net> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>a related issue came up in the pinball newsgroup I read regularly...
>
>Suppose you have an AC electric motor that spins at 100 rpm when supplied
>with a 110 VAC, 60 Hz electricity source. If you could change the frequency
>of the AC from 50 Hz to 60 Hz, what would be the resulting performance
>change (if any) of the above theoretical motor? No, I am not in college any
>more *sniff, 25 years past that*, looking for homework assistance :-)
>
>Thank you in advance for any and all responses!
>Dan

An induction or shaded-pole motor's speed will be pretty much
proportional to frequency. 60 Hz motors might be a little weaker and
run a bit warmer on 50 Hz.

A synchronous motor's speed will be exactly proportional to frequency.

Brush-type motors won't care much about the frequency.

John