From: mowhoong on
I used a dimmer circuit to control my heater 1600 W instead of a solid
stste relay as both use a equal 25A triac as a on and off switch.
The triac of the dimmer circuit become very hot which is unexpected.
I am curious to know the causes of it.
Thanking members for their generous reply.
From: Jamie on
mowhoong wrote:

> I used a dimmer circuit to control my heater 1600 W instead of a solid
> stste relay as both use a equal 25A triac as a on and off switch.
> The triac of the dimmer circuit become very hot which is unexpected.
> I am curious to know the causes of it.
> Thanking members for their generous reply.
Most likely insufficient heat sink area.. and the triac not being
rated for the 1600 watts..

just because the amps may match, does not mean it's going to swing it.
you need to calculate the wattage and heat sink needed before
determining its going to survive!
1600 watts sounds like a lot of power for a light dimmer..

From: Michael A. Terrell on

mowhoong wrote:

> I used a dimmer circuit to control my heater 1600 W instead of a solid
> stste relay as both use a equal 25A triac as a on and off switch.
> The triac of the dimmer circuit become very hot which is unexpected.
> I am curious to know the causes of it.
> Thanking members for their generous reply.

What kind of heater? If it uses coils of Nichrome wire, you have an
inductive load.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-06-27, mowhoong <mowhoong(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I used a dimmer circuit to control my heater 1600 W instead of a solid
> stste relay as both use a equal 25A triac as a on and off switch.
> The triac of the dimmer circuit become very hot which is unexpected.
> I am curious to know the causes of it.
> Thanking members for their generous reply.

A 25A triac needs a heat sink that's good for atleast 20W if it's going to pass
25A without overheating.

Without the heatsink it's only good for a couple of amps.

From: Michael Robinson on

"mowhoong" <mowhoong(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I used a dimmer circuit to control my heater 1600 W instead of a solid
> stste relay as both use a equal 25A triac as a on and off switch.
> The triac of the dimmer circuit become very hot which is unexpected.
> I am curious to know the causes of it.
> Thanking members for their generous reply.

The obvious question is, what are the voltage and power ratings of your
dimmer?
Someone also mentioned inductance.