From: W. eWatson on
See subject?
From: Jamie on
W. eWatson wrote:
> See subject?
http://www.deviceside.com/

If you have a 5.25 floppy drive lying around? You can use the above
product to read (only), the data. It does not write to the
floppy...

Jamie..

From: Baron on
W. eWatson Inscribed thus:

Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?

Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy drive
in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector or the nasty
laptop floppy drive. If you get the right type its just a matter of
modifying an old cable or using a 5.25" to 3.5" adaptor.
I played about with one a while back. It identified the drive correctly
as a 1.2Mb device and worked as expected.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: W. eWatson on
On 6/26/2010 12:18 PM, Baron wrote:
> W. eWatson Inscribed thus:
>
> Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?
>
> Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy drive
> in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector or the nasty
> laptop floppy drive. If you get the right type its just a matter of
> modifying an old cable or using a 5.25" to 3.5" adaptor.
> I played about with one a while back. It identified the drive correctly
> as a 1.2Mb device and worked as expected.

I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a space
for 3.5", or did I miss something?
From: whit3rd on
On Jun 26, 1:17 pm, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 12:18 PM, Baron wrote:> W. eWatson Inscribed thus:
>
> > Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?
>
> > Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy drive
> > in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector...

> I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a space
> for 3.5", or did I miss something?

The 'external USB floppy' consists of a case, USB interface, and
floppy drive. Some such devices have a standard floppy drive
34-wire header connector and you can connect those to a
5.25" mechanism. Usually, USB drives are bus-powered
and take +5V only, while the 5.25" unit will likely need +12V as
well.

So, the really important part of the 3.5" USB drive is just its
interface component; you'll need a 5.25" drive, a case, a
data cable, and a suitable power supply, to complete the unit.