From: Baron on
whit3rd Inscribed thus:

> On Jun 26, 1:17 pm, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 6/26/2010 12:18 PM, Baron wrote:> W. eWatson Inscribed thus:
>>
>> > Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?
>>
>> > Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy
>> > drive in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector...
>
>> I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a
>> space for 3.5", or did I miss something?
>
> The 'external USB floppy' consists of a case, USB interface, and
> floppy drive. Some such devices have a standard floppy drive
> 34-wire header connector and you can connect those to a
> 5.25" mechanism. Usually, USB drives are bus-powered
> and take +5V only, while the 5.25" unit will likely need +12V as
> well.

I assumed that the OP would realise that he would need an external power
source. I just used one of the spare HDD plugs on the desktop machine.

> So, the really important part of the 3.5" USB drive is just its
> interface component; you'll need a 5.25" drive, a case, a
> data cable, and a suitable power supply, to complete the unit.

Thats correct ! I didn't bother with a case since it was very much
experimental and done just to see if it would work, which it does.
The first "Laptop" USB floppy drive I examined had one of those slimline
floppy drives using a thin flexible ribbon between the electronics and
the drive. Which is why I gave the warning.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: W. eWatson on
On 6/26/2010 2:52 PM, Baron wrote:
> whit3rd Inscribed thus:

>>> I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a
>>> space for 3.5", or did I miss something?
>>
>> The 'external USB floppy' consists of a case, USB interface, and
>> floppy drive. Some such devices have a standard floppy drive
>> 34-wire header connector and you can connect those to a
>> 5.25" mechanism. Usually, USB drives are bus-powered
>> and take +5V only, while the 5.25" unit will likely need +12V as
>> well.
>
> I assumed that the OP would realise that he would need an external power
> source. I just used one of the spare HDD plugs on the desktop machine.
>
>> So, the really important part of the 3.5" USB drive is just its
>> interface component; you'll need a 5.25" drive, a case, a
>> data cable, and a suitable power supply, to complete the unit.
>
> Thats correct ! I didn't bother with a case since it was very much
> experimental and done just to see if it would work, which it does.
> The first "Laptop" USB floppy drive I examined had one of those slimline
> floppy drives using a thin flexible ribbon between the electronics and
> the drive. Which is why I gave the warning.

Thanks for the input, but it appears Memorex makes one. I thought I'd
give our "local" Fry's Electronic store, 50 miles from here in
Sacramento, a call. They have them for $40. Next time I'm down there,
I'll see what it's about. I just realized we have a used electronics
store down about there too. Worth a call. They sure are getting scarce.
From: WangoTango on
In article <i05n9c$37n$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
wolftracks(a)invalid.com says...
> On 6/26/2010 12:18 PM, Baron wrote:
> > W. eWatson Inscribed thus:
> >
> > Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?
> >
> > Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy drive
> > in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector or the nasty
> > laptop floppy drive. If you get the right type its just a matter of
> > modifying an old cable or using a 5.25" to 3.5" adaptor.
> > I played about with one a while back. It identified the drive correctly
> > as a 1.2Mb device and worked as expected.
> >
> I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a space
> for 3.5", or did I miss something?

I'm pretty sure he is just talking about the electrical connections to
the guts. It will work, but it ain't pretty.