From: Karl E. Peterson on
RB Smissaert wrote on 12/9/2009 :
> Had a quick look and it looks all very good.
> Just one problem I noticed is that when I showed the VBA form modeless and
> then minimized Excel the form was gone, I suppose it crashed. Can it
> work with a modeless form?

I have no idea, as I've never tried it. It's hard to think of a
reason, off the top of my head, why it wouldn't. Using callbacks in
VBA is inherently dangerous, of course. I suppose I could take a look
at it, but probably not today, unless some sort of miracle happens. <g>

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]

From: RB Smissaert on
No hurry, I don't in fact need this, just trying to help out the OP plus it
is kind of interesting.

RBS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
RB Smissaert formulated the question :
>>> Had a quick look and it looks all very good.
>>> Just one problem I noticed is that when I showed the VBA form modeless and
>>> then minimized Excel the form was gone, I suppose it crashed. Can it work
>>> with a modeless form?
>>
>> I have no idea, as I've never tried it. It's hard to think of a reason,
>> off the top of my head, why it wouldn't. Using callbacks in VBA is
>> inherently dangerous, of course. I suppose I could take a look at it, but
>> probably not today, unless some sort of miracle happens. <g>
>
> No hurry, I don't in fact need this, just trying to help out the OP plus it
> is kind of interesting.

Hmmm, seems to work here. Yes, when I minimize Excel, the modeless
form disappears too. But that's because it's owned by the main app, I
would think. When I restore Excel, the modeless form pops right back
up with it.

Testing in Office 2003 on Windows 7 x64.

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Karl E. Peterson submitted this idea :
> RB Smissaert formulated the question :
>>>
>>> I have no idea, as I've never tried it. It's hard to think of a reason,
>>> off the top of my head, why it wouldn't. Using callbacks in VBA is
>>> inherently dangerous, of course. I suppose I could take a look at it, but
>>> probably not today, unless some sort of miracle happens. <g>
>>
>> No hurry, I don't in fact need this, just trying to help out the OP plus it
>> is kind of interesting.
>
> Hmmm, seems to work here. Yes, when I minimize Excel, the modeless form
> disappears too. But that's because it's owned by the main app, I would
> think. When I restore Excel, the modeless form pops right back up with it.
>
> Testing in Office 2003 on Windows 7 x64.

Okay, yeah, this is weird. I am seeing that in some cases, the
userform isn't being restored along with the application. (This didn't
start happening until I added some code to decouple the userform from
its owner.) If I set the userform to not have an owner, it stays
visible when the application is minimized, and I haven't seen it
disappear yet. Something's up, and I can't say what it is at this
point.

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]

From: RB Smissaert on
> If I set the userform to not have an owner

I have a feeling that this is what the OP wants, or the desktop to be the
owner.
Still, as you say there is something fishy going on here.
If this all works then that would be a major addition for VBA. One thing
that springs
to mind is keep a form refreshed (repaint) if VBA is working so hard that
the form
would otherwise go white. Basically it would be a simple way to add
threading or do
I see that wrong?