From: Nick Friend on
Given the following..

1. I know the IP address of a remote site (a Windows-based LAN or an
individual Windows machine with it's broadband connection).
2. The router at the remote site has a specific port open and
forwarded to a specific machine on the internal network (if there is
one).
3. A known directory is shared on that computer.

How can I check the validity of the "connection" info. I can ping the
IP number, but that only tells me the IP exists, not that it's the
correct one, nor does it validate the rest of the data.

cFTP looks a possibility, but doesn't seem to permit me to target a
specific port.

Any ideas?

TIA

Nick
From: richard.townsendrose on
Nick

thats an interesting one ... have you tried to make an ads
connection ... that requires a port to be specified

do you have geoff's internet email library ? have emailed it to you

also see the csocket stuff in the internet library

LOCAL oHttp AS cHttp
oHttp := CHttp{"TDOC HTTP Mail Sender"}

and then see what you can find out about it ?

richard
From: Nick Friend on
Thanks Richard.

What I'm trying to do is have an alternative way of verifying if a
connection string (to be used with ADS) is valid or not. We've set up
our ADS replication system to cope with dynamic IPs, but I want some
way of independently verifying if the connection data the system has
collected automatically is actually up to date and valid.

Nick