From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:34:56 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:03:46 -0700 (PDT), john1987
><conphiloso(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think that I am doing what are suggesting to use the differeniator.
>>But is there another analog way to do it meant without using the RC
>>circuit.
>
>What's wrong with an RC?
>
>Actually, and RC doesn't approach the required 90 degree lead or lag
>unless the time constant is huge, and then the signal is approaching
>zero. If your signal frequency is fairly steady, an R-L-C can do a lot
>better.
>
>Try this:
>

>in-------R------L---+------------comparator+

> +------------comparator-
> |

> gnd
>

>Pick the R-C to give, say, 70 degrees of lag at 100 KHz. Pick the L to
>add phase lag until the comparator switches just at the signal peaks,
>compensating for comparator delay while you're at it. R can be partly
>trimpot for fine tuning. This will preserve a healthy fraction of the
>original signal amplitude.
>

>I've also done this as
>
>in-------C----------+------------comparator+

> | small
> | offset---comparator-
> |

> gnd
>
>as a fast constant-fraction discriminator, with an ecl comparator,
>instead of the usual delay-line thing.
>
>John

john1987 is invited to do the math.

A differentiator finds peaks just fine as previously demonstrated, and
a 90� all-pass is also trivial, without an inductor, also as
previously demonstrated.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Phil Hobbs on
john1987 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The accuracy requirements are as follows
>
> 1. The frequency of the sine wave is 100 kHz. +/- 3us
> 2 The amplitude is 2 volts peak to peak, it should be accurately
> measured at +/- 1.9 volts.
> Its not a home work. :)
>

> Thanks
>
> John

That sounds like a job for a window comparator. All these peak detector
gizmos are assuming you don't know the actual amplitude.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:53:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>john1987 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The accuracy requirements are as follows
>>
>> 1. The frequency of the sine wave is 100 kHz. +/- 3us
>> 2 The amplitude is 2 volts peak to peak, it should be accurately
>> measured at +/- 1.9 volts.
>> Its not a home work. :)
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> John
>>

>That sounds like a job for a window comparator. All these peak detector
>gizmos are assuming you don't know the actual amplitude.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

(1) Differentiator + Comparator: NO
(2) All-pass + Comparator: NO
(3) Tracking ADC/Counter: NO

How does a window detector find "peak"? It can find zero-crossings
just ducky, but not "peak"... unless you "know actual amplitude" :-)

...Jim Thompson

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/29/2010 12:03 PM, john1987 wrote:

(Could you please include context in your replies? This is USENET.)

> I think that I am doing what are suggesting to use the differeniator.
> But is there another analog way to do it meant without using the RC
> circuit.

Why are you dead set against the RC circuit?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/29/2010 12:03 PM, john1987 wrote:
> I think that I am doing what are suggesting to use the differeniator.
> But is there another analog way to do it meant without using the RC
> circuit.

Detecting peaks requires memory of past history of the wave, which means
(in an analog circuit) than you need a capacitor or an inductor. So,
sure you can get rid of the cap -- if you don't mind having an inductor
in there.

People keep asking you questions like "is your frequency stable", trying
to find ways to make you happy, and you keep responding with "I don't
even want to put up with a capacitor in my circuit".

What are you really trying to do, and what are your real constraints?
What's the matter with a cruddy capacitor?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services