From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews submitted this idea :
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> Well, in my case it might be interesting for the IT folks to know what
>>> public IP address was connecting to the Terminal Server system so they
>>> can track down any hackers.
>>
>> Not following there. You can certainly block addresses outside your
>> own subnet fairly easily, no?
>
> My clients have folks coming in from home and remote job sites.
> Although admittedly they do require a VPN so this is likely a moot
> point anyhow.
>
> This is more of a nice to have feature than a must.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, if you're wanting to open holes
for folks, it's one of those must-have kinda things. But most people
aren't working with fixed external addresses, anyway, so it becomes a
whack-a-mole effort, eh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:11:54 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>>> Not following there. You can certainly block addresses outside your
>>> own subnet fairly easily, no?
>>
>> My clients have folks coming in from home and remote job sites.
>> Although admittedly they do require a VPN so this is likely a moot
>> point anyhow.
>>
>> This is more of a nice to have feature than a must.
>
>Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, if you're wanting to open holes
>for folks, it's one of those must-have kinda things. But most people
>aren't working with fixed external addresses, anyway, so it becomes a
>whack-a-mole effort, eh?

Sure but the ISPs know who s allocated what ISP at any given time. Of
course I presume that many ISPs in other countries really don't care
too much about unethical behavior.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews brought next idea :

>>> My clients have folks coming in from home and remote job sites.
>>> Although admittedly they do require a VPN so this is likely a moot
>>> point anyhow.
>>>
>>> This is more of a nice to have feature than a must.
>>
>> Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, if you're wanting to open holes
>> for folks, it's one of those must-have kinda things. But most people
>> aren't working with fixed external addresses, anyway, so it becomes a
>> whack-a-mole effort, eh?
>
> Sure but the ISPs know who s allocated what ISP at any given time. Of
> course I presume that many ISPs in other countries really don't care
> too much about unethical behavior.

Right. Which gets back to my original question -- why would it matter
to an application what it's external IP address is? <g>

From: Bob Riemersma on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Tony Toews brought next idea :

>>> Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, if you're wanting to open holes
>>> for folks, it's one of those must-have kinda things. But most people
>>> aren't working with fixed external addresses, anyway, so it becomes a
>>> whack-a-mole effort, eh?
>>
>> Sure but the ISPs know who s allocated what ISP at any given time. Of
>> course I presume that many ISPs in other countries really don't care
>> too much about unethical behavior.
>
> Right. Which gets back to my original question -- why would it matter to
> an application what it's external IP address is? <g>

I've needed it for creating P2P applications where the peers post "how to
reach me" info (IP & Port) to files on a WebDAV server so they can
"rendezvous" with each other. Mostly for multipeer chat-like applications.

With some caveats you can get this via UPnP, as well as map ports as
required. See:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=592823

But I seem to be missing the point here. Or is this some application
hosting the Remote Desktop Web Connection control and wanting to feed other
info back to a server application via a separate channel (TCP connection)?

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:45:32 -0400, "Bob Riemersma" <nospam(a)nil.net>
wrote:

>But I seem to be missing the point here. Or is this some application
>hosting the Remote Desktop Web Connection control and wanting to feed other
>info back to a server application via a separate channel (TCP connection)?

It's for an app that can run as either a PC based system or inside a
Terminal Server system. I was thinking of logging the IP address
just as additional information as a nice to have thing. Along with
some other data such as users, workstation ID, OS version, etc, etc.

Tony