From: Tony Toews on
Folks

So I'm interested in figuring out the public IP address of an RDP
client. I found a thread tehat explains how to get the clients IP
address.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_thread/thread/fce6ffe2eb96c5e5/14ec4ad477ab9b57
But if it's behind a router, such as my laptop currently is, then the
value fetchable is my 192.168.1.101 address and not my routers ISP
assigned address.

Now that thread suggests using 'netstat -an' on the TS box which
really isn't all that practircal.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews formulated on Wednesday :
> Folks
>
> So I'm interested in figuring out the public IP address of an RDP
> client. I found a thread tehat explains how to get the clients IP
> address.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_thread/thread/fce6ffe2eb96c5e5/14ec4ad477ab9b57
> But if it's behind a router, such as my laptop currently is, then the
> value fetchable is my 192.168.1.101 address and not my routers ISP
> assigned address.
>
> Now that thread suggests using 'netstat -an' on the TS box which
> really isn't all that practircal.

I don't know this is honestly available. The "common" method is to ask
someone looking in from the outside, like www.whatsmyip.org, because
there's really no reason a machine should know or care what it's
external address is?

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Tony Toews on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:09:40 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>I don't know this is honestly available.

That's what I'm thinking too which in some respects kind of surprises
me.

>The "common" method is to ask
>someone looking in from the outside, like www.whatsmyip.org, because
>there's really no reason a machine should know or care what it's
>external address is?

Well, in my case it might be interesting for the IT folks to know what
public IP address was connecting to the Terminal Server system so they
can track down any hackers.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews was thinking very hard :
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:09:40 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know this is honestly available.
>
> That's what I'm thinking too which in some respects kind of surprises
> me.
>
>> The "common" method is to ask
>> someone looking in from the outside, like www.whatsmyip.org, because
>> there's really no reason a machine should know or care what it's
>> external address is?
>
> Well, in my case it might be interesting for the IT folks to know what
> public IP address was connecting to the Terminal Server system so they
> can track down any hackers.

Not following there. You can certainly block addresses outside your
own subnet fairly easily, no?

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>> Well, in my case it might be interesting for the IT folks to know what
>> public IP address was connecting to the Terminal Server system so they
>> can track down any hackers.
>
>Not following there. You can certainly block addresses outside your
>own subnet fairly easily, no?

My clients have folks coming in from home and remote job sites.
Although admittedly they do require a VPN so this is likely a moot
point anyhow.

This is more of a nice to have feature than a must.

Tony