Prev: PHP Pill
Next: recursive
From: tedd on
At 12:09 PM -0400 7/15/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:54, Richard Quadling <rquadling(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for is a way to compare what they've entered against a
>> known list and to provide my 10 best guesses.
>
> Look into the following functions and families:
>
> levenshtein()
> similar_text()

What would one use to have MySQL do the heavy lifting here?

In other words, are there similar MySQL functions?

Cheers,

tedd

PS: I thought of this Friday, but finally got my fingers to work today.

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: tedd on
At 12:39 PM +0100 7/19/10, Richard Quadling wrote:

>I'm using MS SQL, not mySQL.
>
>Found a extended stored procedure with a UDF.
>
>Testing it looks excellent.
>
>Searching for a match on 30,000 vehicles next to no additional time -
>a few seconds in total, compared to the over 3 minutes to search using
>SQL code.

That seems a bit slow.

For example, currently I'm searching over 4,000 records (which
contains 4,000 paragraphs taken from the text of the King James
version of the Bible) for matching words, such as %created% and the
times are typically around 0.009 seconds.

As such, searching ten times that amount should be in the range of
tenths of a second and not seconds -- so taking a few seconds to
search 30,000 records seems excessive to me.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------