From: Rick Dwyer on
Hello all.

I inquired about the problem below on a FM board but no one could
help. Hoping someone here may have an explanation or a workaround.

I have PHP Pill installed on both a Mac and PC versions of FileMaker
11. On the Mac, things behave as expected. On the PC, they do not. My
code is below:

$old_string= 'Antique Houses™ Appointment Calendar';
$find = '/[^a-z0-9]/i';
$replace = '';
$new_string = preg_replace($find, $replace, $old_string);
$new_string = trim($new_string, "");
echo $new_string;

So on the Mac, the above returns:
AntiqueHousesAppointmentCalendar

vs. the PC returns:
AntiqueHousesTAppointmentCalendar

Is there any reason the PC version of FM converts the TM symbol to a T
instead of removing as it should via regex?
Thanks.

--Rick

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 12:30 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I inquired about the problem below on a FM board but no one could
> help. Hoping someone here may have an explanation or a workaround.
>
> I have PHP Pill installed on both a Mac and PC versions of FileMaker
> 11. On the Mac, things behave as expected. On the PC, they do not. My
> code is below:
>
> $old_string= 'Antique Houses™ Appointment Calendar';
> $find = '/[^a-z0-9]/i';
> $replace = '';
> $new_string = preg_replace($find, $replace, $old_string);
> $new_string = trim($new_string, "");
> echo $new_string;
>
> So on the Mac, the above returns:
> AntiqueHousesAppointmentCalendar
>
> vs. the PC returns:
> AntiqueHousesTAppointmentCalendar
>
> Is there any reason the PC version of FM converts the TM symbol to a T
> instead of removing as it should via regex?
> Thanks.
>

> --Rick

It sounds like somewhere along the line the character format isn't being
observed. I'm not sure what PHP Pill is, and a quick Google for it
brought up some odd results which didn't look like software! What
happens when you output the string length on each system? I'm assuming
you're using Windows on the PC, and not Linux, as that is where I've
seen most issues with character encoding in the past.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Rick Dwyer on
Hi Ash.

Yes, windows XP, I believe. PHP Pill is a FileMaker plugin that
allows you to execute PHP from within your FM code. What I don't
understand is that the PHP regex should be removing ALL items not in
my regex list... it does so in FM on the Mac but not on the PC. But
the plugin is working as it is removing everthing... but gets tripped
on the trade mark symbol. I sent a side by side screen shot of the
fields on the mac and pc to your personal address.

--Rick

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 13:27 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hi Ash.
>

> Yes, windows XP, I believe. PHP Pill is a FileMaker plugin that
> allows you to execute PHP from within your FM code. What I don't
> understand is that the PHP regex should be removing ALL items not in
> my regex list... it does so in FM on the Mac but not on the PC. But
> the plugin is working as it is removing everthing... but gets tripped
> on the trade mark symbol. I sent a side by side screen shot of the
> fields on the mac and pc to your personal address.
>

> --Rick
>

> On Jul 17, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 12:30 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all.
> > >
> > > I inquired about the problem below on a FM board but no one could
> > > help. Hoping someone here may have an explanation or a workaround.
> > >
> > > I have PHP Pill installed on both a Mac and PC versions of FileMaker
> > > 11. On the Mac, things behave as expected. On the PC, they do not. My
> > > code is below:
> > >
> > > $old_string= 'Antique Houses™ Appointment Calendar';
> > > $find = '/[^a-z0-9]/i';
> > > $replace = '';
> > > $new_string = preg_replace($find, $replace, $old_string);
> > > $new_string = trim($new_string, "");
> > > echo $new_string;
> > >
> > > So on the Mac, the above returns:
> > > AntiqueHousesAppointmentCalendar
> > >
> > > vs. the PC returns:
> > > AntiqueHousesTAppointmentCalendar
> > >
> > > Is there any reason the PC version of FM converts the TM symbol to a T
> > > instead of removing as it should via regex?
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > > --Rick
> > >

> > It sounds like somewhere along the line the character format isn't
> > being observed. I'm not sure what PHP Pill is, and a quick Google
> > for it brought up some odd results which didn't look like software!
> > What happens when you output the string length on each system? I'm
> > assuming you're using Windows on the PC, and not Linux, as that is
> > where I've seen most issues with character encoding in the past.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Well, I did suggest one thing that could be happening. What do both
string lengths come to?

From: Rick Dwyer on

On Jul 17, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> Well, I did suggest one thing that could be happening. What do both
> string lengths come to?

On the PC, the length of variable old string is 44 and new string is 39
On the Mac, the length of varialbe old string is 44 and new string is
38.

This is all happening inside of FileMaker... I will test the PHP code
inside a web browser on both plaforms to see what happens.

--Rick