From: Roger Pack on

> Thanks guys! I was hoping there was a simpler method than parsing
> directory listings (say, like a text file) but if that's the way to go
> then I'll just have to dig in.

Yeah that's the general way people have done it in the past. You could
also screen scrape ruby-lang.org page I suppose...

From: Roger Pack on

> I wrote a PureRuby Backport Patch for older versions, that adds newer
> constants to older versions (<1.8.7), which you might like to use
> (you'll get the idea when you read it; it can be condensed into smaller
> code.)
> It's attached here, and in the post you'll see other links where it's
> available (rubyforge snippet library, etc.)
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/3665

There's also a backports gem, if that helps at all.

From: Dan Rathbun on
Lars Olsson wrote:
> On 10 Aug, 21:16, Roger Pack <rogerpack2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any suggestions on how to solve this?
>
> Thanks guys! I was hoping there was a simpler method than parsing
> directory listings (say, like a text file) ...

I attached my TEXT FILE to my previous post Lars.

Look at the header, viz:

Re: Determining whether the running ruby is outdated?
Posted by Dan Rathbun (dan_rathbun) on 11.08.2010 02:38

... or click this link:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4934/Ruby_Releases.txt

... BUT be aware I have seen the release date vary in the minGW32 built
DLLs by a few days, from the "official" release date. I am not sure if
that also is reflected in the value of the RUBY_RELEASE_DATE constant
when running a minGW32 built interpreter.

You could ask Luis Lavena over at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller
From: Lars Olsson on
On 11 Aug, 14:48, Dan Rathbun <danzoi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars Olsson wrote:
>
> > Thanks guys! I was hoping there was a simpler method than parsing
> > directory listings (say, like a text file) ...
>
> I attached my TEXT FILE to my previous post Lars.
>
> Look at the header, viz:
>
> Re: Determining whether the running ruby is outdated?
> Posted by Dan Rathbun (dan_rathbun) on 11.08.2010 02:38
>
> .. or click this link:http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4934/Ruby_Releases.txt
>
> .. BUT be aware I have seen the release date vary in the minGW32 built
> DLLs by a few days, from the "official" release date. I am not sure if
> that also is reflected in the value of the RUBY_RELEASE_DATE constant
> when running a minGW32 built interpreter.
>
> You could ask Luis Lavena over at:http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller

Sorry, I did not mean to ignore your solution. Will the file be
updated on regular intervals? Is the current location static or will
it change? Since my utility will have to rely on external resources it
is important to me that it will not break due to those external
resources changing location or containing old information.

/lasso
From: Dan Rathbun on
Lars Olsson wrote:

> Will the file be updated on regular intervals?

I will update it for my own use (as a reference to keep track
of what I have done etc., for my own applet.)

> Is the current location static or will it change?

I dont know much about how the ruby-forum software works.

> Since my utility will have to rely on external resources it
> is important to me that it will not break due to those external
> resources changing location or containing old information.

Hmmm... Luis Lavena is also involved with pik developement (which is a
Ruby Version Manager and Configurator,) for Windows. There is also RVM
(for Unix-like systems.)

Both of these utilities have a gem-like install capability. You would
think somewhere that there must be a "dictionary" so that these
utilities can find the 'rubies' (the term for a specific Ruby
cpu-platform-version-patchlevel package,) to install.

They may just be using RubyGems to read the ruby-lang.org gem
repository.

But anyway... I am not "on" the Ruby Core project team, the Ruby
Installer project team, etc. I just make a few suggestions from time to
time.

I have nothing against anyone taking what I've begun (cleaning it up,
changing format [JSON, CSV, PStore, etc.] and using it to create on
online 'official dictionary' of some kind.
I agree it should be somewhere like rubyforge.net or ruby-lang.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: hash
Next: Problem with db:create