From: Lars Olsson on
Hi,

I'm writing a small utility that shows information on the currently
running ruby environment. One part of the utility checks whether any
gems is outdated, but I also want to check if the ruby interpreter
itself is outdated. Getting the currently installed version is simple,
but getting a list of released ruby versions seems a bit trickier. I'm
mainly interested in *stable* source versions, but I don't mind if my
utility lists development and rc versions as well.

Does anyone know a good way of checking this? My first try was to use
the ruby github mirror to fetch available tags. Then I tried using
svn.ruby-lang.org to get the same information, but neither of those
gave me the information I wanted in a simple way.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

/lasso
From: Roger Pack on
Lars Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a small utility that shows information on the currently
> running ruby environment. One part of the utility checks whether any
> gems is outdated, but I also want to check if the ruby interpreter
> itself is outdated. Getting the currently installed version is simple,
> but getting a list of released ruby versions seems a bit trickier. I'm
> mainly interested in *stable* source versions, but I don't mind if my
> utility lists development and rc versions as well.
> Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Possibly parse this list:

http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/

et al.
-r

From: Dan Rathbun on
Lars Olsson wrote:

> I'm writing a small utility that shows information on the currently
> running ruby environment. One part of the utility checks whether any
> gems is outdated, but I also want to check if the ruby interpreter
> ... Getting the currently installed version is simple,
> but getting a list of released ruby versions seems a bit trickier. I'm
> mainly interested in *stable* source versions, but I don't mind if my
> utility lists development and rc versions as well.

I just went thru ALL the 1.8.x i386-mswin32 releases compiling a list,
and did 1.9.1 also.

I did NOT do any previews, or release candidates, or 1.9.0 or 1.6.x

> Any suggestions on how to solve this?

I had to spend 2 days downloading every package, extracting the
interpreter DLLs, a PITB.

The file is not done.. I'm missing a few dates.
I may also be missing a few patch_levels that were released for test,
but no precompiled package was released. (not likely anyone is running
them.)

I wrote a PureRuby Backport Patch for older versions, that adds newer
constants to older versions (<1.8.7), which you might like to use
(you'll get the idea when you read it; it can be condensed into smaller
code.)
It's attached here, and in the post you'll see other links where it's
available (rubyforge snippet library, etc.)

.. some has suggested I add RUBY_ENGINE to all before 1.9.x (but I
haven't got to it yet.)

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4934/Ruby_Releases.txt

From: Dan Rathbun on
Dan Rathbun wrote:

> .. some has suggested I add RUBY_ENGINE to all before 1.9.x (but I
> haven't got to it yet.)

Here's the snippet for RUBY_ENGINE:

#
# RUBY_ENGINE was added sometime in the 1.9.x branch
#
if defined?(RUBY_ENGINE).nil?
RUBY_ENGINE = RUBY_VERSION.split('.')[0..1].join('.')
end

From: Lars Olsson on
On 10 Aug, 21:16, Roger Pack <rogerpack2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars Olsson wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm writing a small utility that shows information on the currently
> > running ruby environment. One part of the utility checks whether any
> > gems is outdated, but I also want to check if the ruby interpreter
> > itself is outdated. Getting the currently installed version is simple,
> > but getting a list of released ruby versions seems a bit trickier. I'm
> > mainly interested in *stable* source versions, but I don't mind if my
> > utility lists development and rc versions as well.
> > Any suggestions on how to solve this?
>
> Possibly parse this list:
>
> http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/
>
> et al.
> -r

Thanks guys! I was hoping there was a simpler method than parsing
directory listings (say, like a text file) but if that's the way to go
then I'll just have to dig in.

/lasso
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3