From: Jeff on
We currently are running Microsoft Dynamics NAV version 5 SP1 (Native C-Side
but migrating to SQL).

We would like to be able to hire a programmer full time to do code changes
to NAV. What type of licensing would I need to do this? We are paying huge
amounts of money to our current developer (they are VERY GOOD!!) but could
save a bundle if we brought the programming in house.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Jeff Pinkerton
From: Ian C on
Hi Jeff

Here's a breakdown of the Application Builder and Solution Developer granules.

Application Builder
---------------------
You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations
that work behind the scenes. These business rules and special calculations
are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While
Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to
existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for
instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of
functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Microsoft Dynamics
NAV to fit your entire organization. This tool also enables you to create 100
Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099). The Application Builder
granule enables you to take advantage of the functionality included for
developers in the Navigation Pane Designer. This means, for example, that you
can create new menu items.
Note that to actually modify XML Port objects granule 7140 XML Port Designer
is needed.

Solution Developer
---------------------
You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder
granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected
tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any
object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool. This
granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and
Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with
the Application Builder granule.

Few end users have a real need for the Solution Developer granule, and in
the wrong hands it can be very dangerous, so you need to consider the
integrity of your system when making any decisions as to the future
development of your database.

--
My NAV Blog
http://www.nextequalzero.com

Dynamics NAV Search Engine
http://j.mp/iNAVigate

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/NextEqualZero

From: manick on
Jeff,

If you need a full time Programmer onsite or remote or onsite-offsite model(
Great cost saving) we can help you with our team. Please let me know

MV
MS Gold Partner, NJ
nj.tech(a)hotmail.com