From: S on
If you go into Disk Management (in XP) there
should be at least two volumes listed, C and
unnamed (blank). I would say that

C = \Device\Harddisk0\C
_ = \Device\Harddisk0\D

where _ denotes the blank/unnamed volume.

I'm not 100% positive, but if I get time to
further investigate this using WMI from
powershell, then I'm sure I can find out
exactly.

Gerry wrote:

It costs nothing to write down the KB article number and to look them up using
21-Dec-07

It costs nothing to write down the KB article number and to look them up
using Microsoft Advanced Search.

Have you looked in Disk Management -Start, Control Panel, Administrative
Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DWalker wrote:

On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:26 PM
DWalker wrote:

Event description for bad block is poor
My system has IDE drives only, Windows XP SP2 and all current udpates.

Now that I am having bad blocks on drive C, I get Event ID 7 from source
Disk with the message:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block

Google shows me that other people have asked why the message SEEMS to
always tell you that your D drive is bad. I don't have a D drive. The
user whose post I saw had a bad F drive; in my case, it's my C drive.

A Google search for "Device\Harddisk0\C" gave me only 2 hits!! Using D, I
get eleven thousand.

The samples in various KB articles don't even show this form of message:
they show something else besides a single letter after the second \.

What is the D supposed to mean here? Drive C is the first partition on my
IDE primary master disk (basic disks, not dynamic). I can't figure out
where XP is getting the D from.

If it's not supposed to refer to the D drive, then it's a horribly designed
error message.

KB article 159865 is useless, although it doesn't apply to XP anyway.

Any comments?

David Walker

On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:53 PM
Paul wrote:

Re: Event description for bad block is poor
DWalker wrote:

To see the naming convention at work, check out this site and get a
copy of "dd". It is a port of "disk dump" from Unix, and if
you open a command window and type "dd --list" , it will give a list
of storage devices on the machine. My Win2K machine has a reference to
\\?\Device\Harddisk0\DR0 when I use the above dd command. I have no idea
what DR0 stands for, as I have a single hard drive, IDE type, as my
C: drive.

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Paul

On Friday, December 21, 2007 4:58 AM
Gerry wrote:

Re: Event description for bad block is poor
Quote from link below:
According to Microsoft you need to translate the hard disk number to a
physical drive on the system. You can determine the hard disk number by
looking in the registry, but you need to know if you are using IDE
drives, SCSI drives or a combination of the two. Disk Administrator will
display the drives in the order they are enumerated on each controller
and in the order that the controller device drivers are loaded. If you
are using multiple controllers, the order in which they are identified
is based on I/O port and controller BIOS address assignments.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7&eventno=672&source=Disk&phase=1

A useful tool for checking Hard Drives is HD Tune.

Try running HD Tune(freeware).

Download and run it and see what it turns up.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy
to Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Also do a full surface
scan with HD Tune.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DWalker wrote:

On Friday, December 21, 2007 11:07 AM
DWalker wrote:

Re: Event description for bad block is poor
"Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote in

&source=Disk&ph

It was harddisk0, that much I'm sure of. (It was Master disk on the
primary IDE controller, which is the first drive listed in Disk
Administrator, and is exactly what I would expect.)

Disk zero is my primary master IDE disk. As I mentioned, I'm only using
IDE drives.

In fact, the drive is now sitting on my desk.

I'm not having trouble translating the disk number to a physical drive,
I'm having trouble understanding the "D" after the last slash. That's
not a number.

I already looked at that entry at eventid.net... since I don't feel like
paing for it, the links to KB articles don't work for me. 'Twas a great
site before it went pay. I'll bet they make less money now than they
did when they were free (ads should be more valuable when you have a
bigger audience).

I ran HDTune for a while before I removed the drive from the computer;
there were lots and lots of bad blocks (red squares) near the beginning
of the drive, including the first square. I didn't wait for it to
complete the whole drive.

Still, we're back to my original question: I wonder what the \D in the
event ID message means. Any ideas?

David Walker

On Friday, December 21, 2007 11:16 AM
DWalker wrote:

Re: Event description for bad block is poor
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in news:fkerls$a73$1(a)aioe.org:

Thanks for that reference. I don't get DR0 in the event message; I get
D. Which means what?

On my XP system at work (not the one which had the problem) dd --list
\DR<n> for my various disks. It doesn't help me figure out which one is
which disk, since some of them are the exact same size.

None of that really helps me understand why the event message says
\Device\Harddisk0\D.

It seems that there oughta be an answer! Thanks though. dd is
interesting.

David

On Friday, December 21, 2007 1:32 PM
Paul wrote:

Re: Event description for bad block is poor
DWalker wrote:

I did not find an answer to the question, when I tried to satisfy
my curiosity previously.

Paul

On Friday, December 21, 2007 4:36 PM
Gerry wrote:

It costs nothing to write down the KB article number and to look them up using
It costs nothing to write down the KB article number and to look them up
using Microsoft Advanced Search.

Have you looked in Disk Management -Start, Control Panel, Administrative
Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

DWalker wrote:

Pass XML Instead of Arrays To SQL Server Procedure
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bd8e0b3e-4565-4225-b571-72c755338d5b/pass-xml-instead-of-array.aspx