From: Sven on
Maybe you should tell folks what kind of device you have. I have several
where the 1 key is a hardware button.
Obviously you will need to remap a button to dial something, if you don't
have hardware # keys. Again knowing what device you have helps define what
buttons you do have, and likely the process for re-mapping one of them.

From: Beverly Howard on
How married to the idea of a "single button" are you?

windows mobile has a number of poorly documented key options... for
example, assuming you have a cursor pad,

Assign a number to speeddial 1 position.

From any other app or the today screen;

will dial speeddial 1

If you are already on the phone screen, <down><ok> will dial speeddial 1

The following _may_ work... depends on your os/phone dialog boxes.

Create a shortcut (plain text file with the extension .lnk) containing;

[InternetShortcut]
URL=TEL:3215551212

....and assign that shortcut to a hardware button...

When that shortcut is launched, my phone asks "dial yes/no?" but the OK
or cursor keys don't work in my (oem specific) 2003se device... if you
can use the cursor pad ok button to answer the dialog box, would be a
two keypress option.

You can test this by entering TEL:3215551212<space> in a note or word
document and tapping the resultant hyperlink.

Hope this is of value,
Beverly Howard

From: Roger 2008 on

"Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> How married to the idea of a "single button" are you?
>
> windows mobile has a number of poorly documented key options... for
> example, assuming you have a cursor pad,
>
> Assign a number to speeddial 1 position.
>
> From any other app or the today screen;

> will dial speeddial 1
>
> If you are already on the phone screen, <down><ok> will dial speeddial 1

> The following _may_ work... depends on your os/phone dialog boxes.
>
> Create a shortcut (plain text file with the extension .lnk) containing;
>
> [InternetShortcut]
> URL=TEL:3215551212
>
> ...and assign that shortcut to a hardware button...
>
> When that shortcut is launched, my phone asks "dial yes/no?" but the OK
> or cursor keys don't work in my (oem specific) 2003se device... if you
> can use the cursor pad ok button to answer the dialog box, would be a
> two keypress option.
>
> You can test this by entering TEL:3215551212<space> in a note or word
> document and tapping the resultant hyperlink.
>
> Hope this is of value,
> Beverly Howard

Cool info but nobody has told him how to use voice command to dial a number
yet.

To the OP: If you have a hardware button setup to activate "Voice Command"
like a lot of new phones do then press and hold that button which is
normally the talk button. When the microphone shows up on the top part of
the screen say "help." It will then give you topics you can get help on and
dialing a number by voice is one of them.

From: Peter Mairhofer on
Hi,

I have a Qtek 2020i (aka HTC Alpine, xda 2i, mda 2i, ...).

No hardware keyboard, except the following keys:
* Address book
* Calendar
* the 4-way wheel
* Volume up-down
* Voice Recorder
* Camera
* Red and green button for the phone

Of course, I tried remapping the function "quick dial a specific number"
to any of the keys above but I was not successful.

Regards,
Peter

From: Peter Mairhofer on
Hi,

Am 31.03.2010 01:41, schrieb Beverly Howard:
> How married to the idea of a "single button" are you?

The one thing that should work is to use it without screen. So pressing
more buttons in an order which always works would be OK too.

> windows mobile has a number of poorly documented key options... for
> example, assuming you have a cursor pad,
>
> Assign a number to speeddial 1 position.

How does this work?

I tried so but was not successful...

I have a Qtek 2020i (HTC Alpine, xda2i, mda2i). What is the Speeddial
button?

> From any other app or the today screen;

> will dial speeddial 1

Ah, this seems to work ...

Thank you :-)

> The following _may_ work... depends on your os/phone dialog boxes.
>
> Create a shortcut (plain text file with the extension .lnk) containing;
>
> [InternetShortcut]
> URL=TEL:3215551212
>
> ...and assign that shortcut to a hardware button...
>
> When that shortcut is launched, my phone asks "dial yes/no?" but the OK
> or cursor keys don't work in my (oem specific) 2003se device... if you
> can use the cursor pad ok button to answer the dialog box, would be a
> two keypress option.

This is what I already tried but the prompt was the problem ... I was
not able to wo press OK with keyboard buttons.

> Hope this is of value,
> Beverly Howard

Thank you,

Peter