From: Ant on
On 10/3/2009 2:03 PM PT, Ant typed:

>>> I haven't rebooted it yet to check the settings out. I will later.
>>
>> You should not need to reboot to reset the console fonts or properties.
>>
>> Just try running "/etc/init.d/console-setup start"
>
> Even better (no reboot). Heh, I had to run command this outside of X and
> not via ssh (thought it would take changes right away when I checked on
> my local console). ;) Now, it looks better. I did see the font
> differences since it was changed in real-time on screen. It is basically
> the same for widths and heights. Font was just different for being thin
> vs. bolded. I like bold (old school). ;)

Weird, I rebooted today and saw my tiny fonts and more characters on
screen. Also, this trick doesn't work anymore. :(
--
...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the
ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were
bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of
them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose,
and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly
honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could
have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was
nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's
the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so
why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's
good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much
kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing
over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode
from Malcolm in the Middle
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |
From: Ant on
In alt.os.debian J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:47:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
> > "To reset the console font back to what it was before, you just run
> > dpkg-reconfigure console-setup and then choose "VGA" as your console
> > font."

> This changes the entry for FONTFACE in /etc/default/console-setup.

> Take a look at that file should you wish to make the change directly,
> and to see what else can be configured for console-setup.

I rebooted today after almost a month of uptime to upgrade my old
Debian's Kernel v2.6.32-4-686 to v2.6.32-5-686. Now, I see my fonts are
tiny with more areas to show.

I tried the above suggestions, but they did not work. Am I missing
something?

$ cat /etc/default/console-setup
# Change to "yes" and setupcon will explain what is being doing
VERBOSE_OUTPUT="no"

# Setup these consoles. Most people do not need to change this.
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

# Put here your encoding. Valid charmaps are: UTF-8 ARMSCII-8 CP1251
# CP1255 CP1256 GEORGIAN-ACADEMY GEORGIAN-PS IBM1133 ISIRI-3342
# ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-2 ISO-8859-3 ISO-8859-4 ISO-8859-5 ISO-8859-6
# ISO-8859-7 ISO-8859-8 ISO-8859-9 ISO-8859-10 ISO-8859-11 ISO-8859-13
# ISO-8859-14 ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-16 KOI8-R KOI8-U TIS-620 VISCII
CHARMAP="UTF-8"

# The codeset determines which symbols are supported by the font.
# Valid codesets are: Arabic Armenian CyrAsia CyrKoi CyrSlav Ethiopian
# Georgian Greek Hebrew Lao Lat15 Lat2 Lat38 Lat7 Thai Uni1 Uni2 Uni3
# Vietnamese. Read README.fonts for explanation.
CODESET="Lat15"

# Valid font faces are: VGA (sizes 8, 14 and 16), Terminus (sizes
# 12x6, 14, 16, 20x10, 24x12, 28x14 and 32x16), TerminusBold (sizes
# 14, 16, 20x10, 24x12, 28x14 and 32x16), TerminusBoldVGA (sizes 14
# and 16) and Fixed (sizes 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18). Only when
# CODESET=Ethiopian: Goha (sizes 12, 14 and 16) and
# GohaClassic (sizes 12, 14 and 16).
# Set FONTFACE and FONTSIZE to empty strings if you want setupcon to
# set up the keyboard but to leave the console font unchanged.
FONTFACE="VGA"
FONTSIZE="16"

# You can also directly specify nonstandard font or console map to load.
# Use space as separator if you want to load more than one font.
# You can use FONT_MAP in order to specify the Unicode map of the font
# in case the font doesn't have it embedded.

# FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz /usr/local/share/braillefonts/brl-08.psf'
# FONT_MAP=/usr/share/consoletrans/lat9u.uni
# CONSOLE_MAP=/usr/local/share/consoletrans/my_special_encoding.acm

if [ -f /etc/default/keyboard ]; then
. /etc/default/keyboard
fi

I even tried rebooting after making changes. Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she