From: Mark Warner on
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> by Sam Dean
[...]
> Link not available.

Is this some private correspondence or what?

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
From: Man-wai Chang on
> I not only support the Linux community's enthusiasm, but I am a member of
> that community. Still, there is no need to point to pure Linux operating
> systems in order to stake the claim that open source has gone mainstream.
> From browsers to the widespread use of fantastic applications such as VLC
> Media Player, GIMP and Abi Word, open source went mainstream and would
> have done so with Linux's help or without it."

Linux is quite popular in the server market.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
From: Mark Warner on
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> by Sam Dean
[...]

http://ostatic.com/blog/did-open-source-need-linux-to-hit-the-mainstream

--
Mark Warner
....lose .inhibitions when replying
From: HeyBub on
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> by Sam Dean
>
> "Open source has officially "crossed the chasm from early adoption to
> mainstream adoption," pronounced Jeffrey Hammond, principal analyst at
> Forrester Research, at this week's LinuxCon conference. According to
> ZDNet's Paula Rooney, Hammond based his pronouncement on analysis of
> several studies, most of which have to do with Linux. Is Linux really
> the best barometer for this kind of announcement, though? Didn't open
> source hit the mainstream without it?

They've been saying that for, what, eight years now?

If the Linux devotees have lied consecutively for that length of time, what
credence should we place on their current proncouncements?

From: za kAT on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:27:10 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> by Sam Dean
>>
>> "Open source has officially "crossed the chasm from early adoption to
>> mainstream adoption," pronounced Jeffrey Hammond, principal analyst at
>> Forrester Research, at this week's LinuxCon conference. According to
>> ZDNet's Paula Rooney, Hammond based his pronouncement on analysis of
>> several studies, most of which have to do with Linux. Is Linux really
>> the best barometer for this kind of announcement, though? Didn't open
>> source hit the mainstream without it?
>
> They've been saying that for, what, eight years now?
>
> If the Linux devotees have lied consecutively for that length of time, what
> credence should we place on their current proncouncements?

No more than the constant bollocks, and hype from all the commercial
vendors. It's all just nauseous, idle twittering, from the blogging
classes.

If you find yourself reading prattle like this, slap yourself hard.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!