From: AJL on
Norman <me(a)here.earth.sol> wrote:

>Did Palm miss out on an opportunity by
>not bringing out an e-book reader?

Palm does have an ebook reader. It's called a Palm. And it does
something that the Kindle or IPad can't. It fits in my pocket so it
goes where I go all the time. I've been reading books on my Palms
since the beginning. Unfortunately most people aren't like me or Palm
would still be making PDAs... ;)
From: John W Kennedy on
On 2010-01-28 21:38:44 -0500, Zombie Elvis said:
> And Palm should eventually come out with a larger,
> non-phone device with a four to seven inch screen.

Cougholeo

--
John W Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

From: AJL on
Norman <me(a)here.earth.sol> wrote:

>I will admit that it's difficult to read a PDF on a small screen
>though. That's where the larger screen would help.

If the PDF you want to read is mostly text then just open the .pdf on
your PC in a PDF reader (like Adobe) and then use the save to text
option. Then put the resulting .txt file on your Palm to read. This
works great for novels. Not so good if there's important formatting...
From: Stephen on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:30:56 -0500, Norman <me(a)here.earth.sol> wrote:

>This past weekend, I was watching a news story about the success
>of Amazon's Kindle and Sony's e-book reader. The technology
>reporter's opinion was that an e-book reader will never be
>successful unless it can do other things too.

So - does this mean those devices are more than a book reader, or that
he is just wrong, or the Kindle / Sony isnt successful?

Amazon did say that for titles available on paper as well as
downloadable to Kindle, Kindle represents 40% (or maybe 40% as large
as the paper numbers)

Given they probably make more margin on something they dont have to
phyically ship or keep in a warehouse, and they get income for the
device on the end of the link before it is used, that sounds like the
merchant definition of success......

>This got me to thinking. Did Palm miss out on an opportunity by
>not bringing out an e-book reader?

i still have an aging Tunsten T5 as my preferred e-book reader at
least for fiction, with around 1500 - 2000 books and other docs.

Palm actually provided their own book reader (now at ereader.com). I
also like Mobipocket, and use plucker for offline web stuff and adobe
for things that are only in that format.

Taking something like a
>Handspring Visor or a Palm Vx and teaming it with an inexpensive
>touchscreen (8" or 10") would have provided a nice, inexpensive
>device. Colour and larger screens could have been offered with
>expansion slots for more RAM and wireless access later. Anybody
>who wants more advanced functions would probably already own a
>Blackberry or a Palm of some sort.

various readers are also available on B/berry, iphone and others.

Kindle and the competing book reseller "tied" platforms such as the
nook seem to be all the rage right now, although i would be reluctant
to limit myself to a device that may be difficult to use if the
retailer stops supporting it.

>Of course, with the announcement of Apple's iPad yesterday, this
>question may be moot.

Apple small print is limiting the e-reader functions to the US models
initially according to some UK IT info.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/28/ipad_no_uk_ibooks/
--
Regards

stephen_hope(a)xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl