From: jpBless on
I am confused... A year or so ago I installed SQL 2008 server Express - the
free version. I had developed an application that connects to the server
using ADO. Every thing works fine. I need to change my XP box to a vista one
and needed to reinstall SQL 2008 Express (the free version) however I ran
into a version that says "SQL 2008 Server R2 Express" that allows up to 10GB
of data and it is said to be free. Any difference between SQL Server 2008
Express and SQL 2008 R2 Express?

Thanks in advance for your help

From: Sylvain Lafontaine on
SQL 2008 R2 Express is the latest version, it could has been called
something like SQL-2008 Express Service Pack 2 or SQL 2010 Express but they
have chosen to call it SQL 2008 R2 Express. Beside some bugs that have been
corrected, the main new feature of this release is the maximum size of a
database that has been increased from 4Gigs to 10Gigs. All the other
limitations have remained the same.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

From: John Bell on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:59:00 -0400, "jpBless"
<jp3blessNoSpam(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am confused... A year or so ago I installed SQL 2008 server Express - the
>free version. I had developed an application that connects to the server
>using ADO. Every thing works fine. I need to change my XP box to a vista one
>and needed to reinstall SQL 2008 Express (the free version) however I ran
>into a version that says "SQL 2008 Server R2 Express" that allows up to 10GB
>of data and it is said to be free. Any difference between SQL Server 2008
>Express and SQL 2008 R2 Express?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help

SQL Server 2008 R2 is the latest version of SQL Server

You can still download the previous release from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=58ce885d-508b-45c8-9fd3-118edd8e6fff&DisplayLang=en
or
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5D1B8C3-FDA5-4508-B0D0-1311D670E336&displaylang=en

John
From: jpBless on
Thanks Sylvain and John.... very much appreciated