From: JF Mezei on
Between my Mac and Xserve, I use the "screen sharing" application which
is hidden away in the /System/Library/CoreServices.

But between the same Mac and my old G2 (10.4 Tiger), I need to use
Chicken of the VNC to connect to it.

Is this normal ? If so, what protocol does ScreenSharing use ?
(obviously, Chicken of the VNC uses VNC).

Screen Sharing appears more snappy. Is it much more efficient (vector)
whereas VNC is more "raster" images ?

Should I be able to use screen sharing on my Mac to access my old Tiger G3 ?
From: Barry Margolin on
In article <4c29f862$0$32453$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Between my Mac and Xserve, I use the "screen sharing" application which
> is hidden away in the /System/Library/CoreServices.
>
> But between the same Mac and my old G2 (10.4 Tiger), I need to use
> Chicken of the VNC to connect to it.
>
> Is this normal ? If so, what protocol does ScreenSharing use ?
> (obviously, Chicken of the VNC uses VNC).
>
> Screen Sharing appears more snappy. Is it much more efficient (vector)
> whereas VNC is more "raster" images ?
>
> Should I be able to use screen sharing on my Mac to access my old Tiger G3 ?

I believe screen sharing uses the VNC protocol. What you're seeing is
that some implementations of the VNC client are written better than
others.

I use JollysFastVNC as my VNC client.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu