From: Mel Comisarow on
I had a bunch of x-rays done for my cat and the veterinarian returned a
cd containing a bunch of files with a .dll suffix and a file with an
..exe suffix, which presumably is a Windows program. The Finder says
each .dll file is a "Windows dynamic link library". How can I read these
..dll files on my Mac? Thanks.
From: nospam on
In article
<melcom-2A4226.20002628062010(a)newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>, Mel
Comisarow <melcom(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

> I had a bunch of x-rays done for my cat and the veterinarian returned a
> cd containing a bunch of files with a .dll suffix and a file with an
> .exe suffix, which presumably is a Windows program. The Finder says
> each .dll file is a "Windows dynamic link library". How can I read these
> .dll files on my Mac? Thanks.

the exe is a windows executable and you will need windows & vmware. it
*might* work with crossover, but don't expect much.

or ask him to send the actual images, usually they're dicom files.
From: dorayme on
In article
<melcom-2A4226.20002628062010(a)newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
Mel Comisarow <melcom(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

> I had a bunch of x-rays done for my cat and the veterinarian returned a
> cd containing a bunch of files with a .dll suffix and a file with an
> .exe suffix, which presumably is a Windows program. The Finder says
> each .dll file is a "Windows dynamic link library". How can I read these
> .dll files on my Mac? Thanks.

You can't read them usefully at all. They call Windows functions.
Either open the CD on a Winbox or if your on Intel Mac, run a
Virtual Box and Windows itself on this latter.

Or call on anyone, neighbour, friends, how about the Vet's
secretary, nearly everyone has a Win PC, take a look on her
machine and ask if the info can be exported to PDF.

Or look very closely at the file names and see if any are pdfs or
tiffs or jpgs (the suffix not necessarily appearing, Windows is
annoying like this). Run any possibilities in Photoshop or
Preview.

--
dorayme
From: JF Mezei on
Mel Comisarow wrote:
> I had a bunch of x-rays done for my cat and the veterinarian returned a
> cd containing a bunch of files with a .dll suffix and a file with an
> .exe suffix, which presumably is a Windows program.

I am not familiar with this, but...

http://bitworking.org/news/X_Rays_in_DCM_Format

Are you sure all there is are .DLL files ? Aren't there other files
other then .EXE and .DLL ?

Is it possible that one .EXE is actually a self extracting .ZIP ? If so,
you could use the unzip utility to get the contents out (it will skip
the windows executable at the top of the file and find the actual .ZIP
contents).
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<melcom-2A4226.20002628062010(a)newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com>,
Mel Comisarow <melcom(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

> I had a bunch of x-rays done for my cat and the veterinarian returned a
> cd containing a bunch of files with a .dll suffix and a file with an
> .exe suffix, which presumably is a Windows program. The Finder says
> each .dll file is a "Windows dynamic link library". How can I read these
> .dll files on my Mac? Thanks.

DLL and EXE files are Windows software programs you must run in Windows.
The actual X-ray data is either in other files on the disc, or it's
embedded in the EXE itself. How sure are you there aren't other files on
the disc that are not DLL or EXE files?

JR