From: Larry on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote in

> I noticed this when I read the PR about iPhone sales; here's a nice
> summary by one of the Apple blog sites:
>
> Besides having the astronomical 1.7 million iPhones in three days
> information, today's press release had something else new for us.
>  The footer.
>
> For the longest time, Apple's Footers have read:
> Apple ignited the personal computer revolution with the Apple II,
> then reinvented the personal computer with the Macintosh. Apple
> continues to lead the industry with its award-winning computers,
> OS X operating system, and iLife, iWork and professional
> applications. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its
> iPods and iTunes online store, has reinvented the mobile phone
> with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently
> introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of
> mobile media and computing devices.
>

> However, today's release had a new bit of copy to the end of its
> release:
> Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world,
> along with OSX, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple
> leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes
> online store. Apple reinvented the mobile phone with its
> revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced
> its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and
> computing devices.
>
> While we're not sure if this is the way of the future, it is
> interesting to see how Apple is changing its priorities (and is really
> sticking with this often-mocked 'Magical' thing).

Don't you find it even remotely amusing that Bill Gates STILL has more
money than nearly everyone else on the planet, including most 3rd World
Countries?

How's he do that and why isn't Jobs on the top of the world's richest
men lists?

When Bill and Warren Buffett are playing bridge, which they do often,
there's more money sitting at that table than most of the Fortune 500
Companies....an amazing feat! Does the loser buy lunch or does Warren
just take Bill to one of his Dairy Queens on one of his new trains?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/06/27/business/friends_600.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/039I0IR7I8b0U/610x.jpg

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what storks are to
obstetrics...

Larry

I'm a big fan of Warren Buffett, by the way. The richest man in America
lives in a modest house and his daughter made him go buy a new truck
because she said his old Chevy was awful.

http://www.thecitrusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/0309_billie-
homes-warren-buffett-omaha-nebraska_485x340.jpg

From: Your Name on
In article
<michelle-AF853B.16025028062010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> I noticed this when I read the PR about iPhone sales; here's a nice summary
> by one of the Apple blog sites:
>
> Besides having the astronomical 1.7 million iPhones in three days
> information, today's press release had something else new for us.  The
> footer.
>
> For the longest time, Apple's Footers have read:
> Apple ignited the personal computer revolution with the Apple II,
> then reinvented the personal computer with the Macintosh. Apple
> continues to lead the industry with its award-winning computers, OS X
> operating system, and iLife, iWork and professional applications.
> Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes
> online store, has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary
> iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad
> which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
>

> However, today's release had a new bit of copy to the end of its release:
> Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along
> with OSX, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the
> digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store.
> Apple reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and
> App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is
> defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
>
> While we're not sure if this is the way of the future, it is interesting to
> see how Apple is changing its priorities (and is really sticking with this
> often-mocked 'Magical' thing).

There's something a little fishy here: "the best personal computers in the
world".

It seems a bit unlikely for any company to put such opinion-based wording
in a press release ... they'll get inundated by lawsuits from other
companies. ?:-\
From: Wes Groleau on
On 06-28-2010 21:16, Your Name wrote:
> There's something a little fishy here: "the best personal computers in the
> world".
> It seems a bit unlikely for any company to put such opinion-based wording
> in a press release ... they'll get inundated by lawsuits from other
> companies. ?:-\

In USA at least, lawsuits against something so clearly subjective
don't fly.

--
Wes Groleau

------
"The reason most women would rather have beauty than brains is
they know that most men can see better than they can think."
-- James Dobson
From: JF Mezei on
Michelle Steiner wrote:

> However, today's release had a new bit of copy to the end of its release:
> Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along
> with OSX, iLife, iWork, and professional software.

So Apple has given up building them I guess. It just designs cool gear.
From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<michelle-211B8B.17360428062010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <Xns9DA5CBCA1D56Bnoonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>,
> Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't you find it even remotely amusing that Bill Gates STILL has more
> > money than nearly everyone else on the planet, including most 3rd World
> > Countries?
> >
> > How's he do that and why isn't Jobs on the top of the world's richest
> > men lists?
>
> Gates kept all his MS Stock from the get go, Jobs had to start over in 1996.
>
> BTW, Jobs is the 136th richest person on the planet. Still not shabby.
>
> But don't forget that Apple's market capitalization is higher than
> Microsoft's. In fact, it's the second highest in the country, with only
> Exxon Mobile higher than it. Microsoft is third, about $26.7 billion
> behind Apple.

And don't forget that Apple is primarily a hardware company, while MS is
a software company. Margins on computers, iPads, and iPhones are
probably smaller than that of Windows, MS Office, etc.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA